Apply now

Transferring credit

As you prepare to transfer to Wayne State University, it's important to make sure you receive proper credit for the classes you've taken. Maximizing your credits is key to graduating quickly, and will help you save time and money. There is no limit to the amount of classes you may transfer to Wayne State.   

When preparing to transfer, it's important to consider two questions: 

What will transfer?

All college-level classes from regionally accredited colleges with a grade of 2.0 (C) or above will transfer. There are no specific limits to the number of transfer credits. However, each academic program has specific requirements that must be satisfied, which helps determine the best number of credits to transfer.

How will credits transfer?

Courses transfer as the number of credits earned at the college where you took the class. This is true regardless of the number of credits the Wayne State equivalent course is worth. Each transferred course will match one of the following types of credit:

  • Equivalent credit: Course(s) that are determined to satisfy a specific requirement and/or prerequisite.
  • Department credit: Course(s) that don't closely match a specific WSU course, but transfer into the academic department. Usually major elective credit.
  • Elective credit: Course(s) that don't match a specific WSU course or "fit" into an academic department. Usually transferred as general elective credit (GEN 1XXX or GEN 2XXX). Elective credit can be used to complete graduation requirements.

Wayne State has several resources available to help you plan your transition and make the most of your coursework. The Transfer Equivalency Self-Service tool (TESS) provides an unofficial degree audit that indicates how your transfer credit is applied and which courses are still required to complete the degree. Or, you can use our course equivalency tool at the top of the page to determine how your previous classes compare to those offered at Wayne State. Review our transfer plans and articulation agreements to discover specific processes available to help you transfer your courses, and learn how your AP, CLEP, and IB credits can also put you on a faster path toward graduation. 

Transfer Credit Policy 

Wayne State University policy accepts transfer credit from all regionally accredited institutions of higher education, both community colleges and baccalaureate-granting colleges and universities. See Undergraduate University Bulletin for more details and institutions not regionally accredited. 

No transfer grades apply in computing Wayne State grade point averages.

Transfer Credit Evaluation questions, please email 

General Education

If you transfer to Wayne State from a Michigan community college with an associate of arts, an associate of science, an associate of baccalaureate studies, or an associate of liberal arts degree, you will be admitted with lower-division university general education requirements considered fulfilled. 

If you transfer from a Michigan community college with a Michigan Transfer Agreement (MTA) stamped transcript with or without an associate degree, you will also be considered to have fulfilled most of the lower-division university general education requirements.

Remedial or Developmental Course Work

Credit earned in courses designated remedial or developmental will not transfer.

Redundant or Duplicative Course Work

Transfer credit will not be awarded for redundant coursework (i.e., courses with substantially duplicative content). Credit will be awarded for only one course in any set of redundant courses. 

If an F is earned at WSU it stays on the student record even if the class is retaken at a transfer institution. A student can retake the class at a transfer institution and receive credit. The WSU earned F will remain on the WSU record and will be calculated in the student’s GPA.

Residency and Upper Division Requirements

Transfer students will be required to meet the University and College residency requirements and to obtain the same number of upper-division credits in fulfillment of the baccalaureate degree as are required of native students in specific major programs.

For more information and individualized service or questions about transfer credit, please contact the Transfer Student Success Center or review the University Bulletin.

Send official transcripts to: 

Request your current institution to send your official transcript(s) electronically to Transcripts sent electronically is the preferred method. However, if needed you may send your transcripts via mail to the following address:

Wayne State University
P.O. Box 02759
Detroit, MI 48202-0759