Federal Work-study

A federal work-study award is offered to students with financial need who may contribute toward their educational expenses by working part time. Work-study funds are very limited and not all eligible applicants will receive an award.

Federal Work-Study Request Forms

Complete the work-study request form to let us know you want to be considered for an award. We will review your eligibility and available funding.

Note: If you do not accept an award within 30 days of it being offered, you may lose the award.


To be eligible for work-study, you must:

  • file an annual FAFSA 
  • qualify for federal student aid
  • demonstrate financial need 
  • enroll on at least a half-time basis (six to 11 credits at the undergraduate level; four credits at the graduate level)

Finding a position

Students who receive a work-study award can visit Career Services to review job listings. Assistance is provided in matching student interests to jobs. Some positions are community service opportunities available in the local community. These include direct and indirect services, both on and off the campus, in the areas of supportive education, legal aid, counseling, tutoring, child care, and more.

  • You may work up to 20 hours per week when classes are in session.
  • Your supervisor must submit a new-hire form to the Career Services Office.
  • You may declare a semester an “off-semester,” during which you may work up to 40 hours per week, provided you enroll on a half-time basis in the coming semester.
  • Allow three to five weeks from the date you are hired to receive your first paycheck.

Note: A work-study award is not an employment guarantee. Carefully read the Student Guide to On-Campus Employment for information and instructions concerning the work-study employment process.