Other types of aid

North American Indian education grants

 The Michigan Indian Tuition Waiver provides assistance for Native Americans who are Michigan residents, and are attending public colleges and universities in the state. 

The Michigan Indian Tuition Waiver application, instructions and eligibility criteria are available on the Michigan Department of Civil Rights website.

Note: Only applicants who are no less than 1/4 blood quantum as certified by their U.S. federally recognized tribal association are eligible to be enrolled members.


Bureau of Indian Education Higher Education Grant Program

The BIE's Higher Education Grant Program provides supplemental financial assistance to eligible American Indian and Alaska Native scholars entering college who are seeking an associate or baccalaureate degree from a nationally accredited institution.


Full-time AmeriCorps members who complete their service earn a Segal AmeriCorps Education Award. This award pays for college, graduate school, or pays back qualified student loans. Members who serve part-time receive a partial award.

Some AmeriCorps members may also receive a modest living allowance during their term of service.

Military and veterans assistance

In addition to military and veterans benefits, students may qualify for grants, loans and other types of financial assistance.

No Worker Left Behind

No Worker Left Behind is designed to transition workers into well-paying jobs by providing up to two years of free tuition at any community college, university or other approved training provider.

The program helps workers gain the skills and credentials needed to start a new business or pursue new careers in high-demand occupations and emerging industries.

More information can be found through your local Michigan Works Office or by calling  1-800-285-WORK.