Military and veterans assistance

WSU offers an active military discount for students who are currently serving in the military. 

Learn more about WSU admission benefits for military and veteran students

Isakson & Roe veterans benefits disclosures

The Johnny Isakson and David P. Roe, MD, Veterans Health Care and Benefits Improvement Act of 2020 requires institutions that participate in educational assistance programs of the Department of Veterans Affairs (VA) to provide additional disclosures for veterans approved for aid from the GI Bill®.

Financial aid College Financing Plan

The College Financing Plan is a consumer tool used to notify students about their financial aid package. It is a standardized form designed to simplify the information that prospective students receive about costs and financial aid so they can easily compare institutions and make informed decisions about where to attend school. You can view your College Financing Plan at any time in the Financial Aid Portal in Academica.

Estimating program costs

To get an estimate of your program costs, multiply the cost of attendance figures on your College Financing Plan by the numbers of years in your program. The estimated costs of attendance includes tuition, fees, books, supplies and other educational expenses. This is only an estimate, as tuition and fees are subject to change. New tuition and fee rates are approved by the WSU Board of Governors and are generally publish in July each academic year. Program length is published in the Bulletin

Graduation rate and student loan debt

Graduation rate and student loan debt figures are updated annually and are published in the U.S. Department of Education College Scorecard.

Transfer credits

Information about the acceptance of transfer credits is available at

Comparing school costs

  • The US Department of Veterans Affairs offers a GI Bill® Comparison Tool so you can compare academic programs and benefits by school.
  • The National Center for Education Statistics offers the College Navigator to help with comparing schools.
  • The College Scorecard is another resource for students to evaluate schools.

Education benefit programs

The WSU Office of Military and Veterans Academic Excellence can help you understand the educational benefit programs available to veterans and their dependents.  Phone: 313-577-9180

If you served on active duty, you might be eligible for education benefits offered by the Department of Veterans Affairs. For example, the Post-9/11 GI Bill® provides financial support for educational and housing expenses to individuals with at least 90 days of aggregate service after September 10, 2001, or individuals discharged with a service-connected disability after 30 days. You must have received an honorable discharge to be eligible for the Post-9/11 GI Bill®.

If you are currently serving in the military, you may be eligible for funding offered through the Department of Defense Tuition Assistance program. Check your eligibility status and the amount for which you qualify with your service prior to enrolling.

If you are the spouse or child of a service member who is serving on active duty Title 10 orders in the pay grades of E1-E5, O1-O2 or W1-W2, may be eligible for financial assistance from the Department of Defense for education, training, and/or the occupational license and credentials necessary for a portable career. You may also be eligible to have a service member's Post-9/11 GI Bill® benefits.

The GI Bill® website provides important information on the Post-9/11 Veterans Educational Assistance Act of 2008.

Learn more about military and veterans education benefits at WSU

Other types of financial aid

In addition to any military benefits you receive, you may qualify for federal financial aid programs. This includes federal grants, federal work-study, and federal student loans. To apply for federal financial aid, you must file the annual Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA).

The State of Michigan offers many other programs and benefits to students who are in the military or are veterans. This includes the State Tuition Assistance program for students in the National Guard.