Student Emergency Grant
This Grant offers limited financial assistance to currently enrolled students who are unable to meet immediate and essential expenses due to unexpected situations/hardships. The fund is designated to offset short-term financial need and is not intended to replace or supplement financial aid. Awards are not considered loans and do not require repayment.
Applicants currently receiving financial aid should be aware that receiving funding from the Student Emergency Grant might affect their financial aid package.
Please note: We no longer have WSU CARES funding available. Our emergency funds are limited and can only be disbursed to your student account through the regular refund process after your account balance is paid.
Types of expenses that may be covered
- Replacement of essential personal belongings due fire, flood, theft, or natural disaster;
- Emergency or temporary housing assistance
- Emergency medication costs (not covered by insurance)
- Assistance with rent or utilities due to an emergency situation
- Emergency transportation
- Temporary support costs for a student in a dangerous situation due to threats or acts of violence
- Other school related expenses.
Types of expenses that are NOT covered
- Some funding options cannot be used for normal and anticipated academic expenses (tuition, fees, health insurance, and study abroad costs)
- Non-essential utilities, household, or furniture costs not related to damage or theft
- Parking tickets or other fines
- Costs for entertainment, recreation, non-emergency travel or other non-essential expenses.
- Be a currently enrolled student at Wayne State University
- Have a financial hardship resulting from an emergency, accident, or other unexpected, critical incident
- Complete all application questions in full and submit supporting documentation
- Demonstrate that all other possible resources have been considered and are either unavailable or insufficient.
Decisions are usually made within 5-7 business days, and all decisions are final. If approved, students will be notified of the amount and the money will be distributed through the regular refund process.
$50 - $1,500 The award amount is based on need and available funding.
Funds will be disbursed via direct deposit or mailed paper check within 14 days of approval. You can sign-up for direct deposit in Academica.