Student Emergency Grant
The Student Emergency Grant offers limited emergency financial assistance to currently enrolled students who have exhausted all other aid sources and are unable to meet immediate, essential expenses because of temporary hardship related to an unexpected situation.
The fund is designated to offset short-term financial need and is not intended to replace or supplement financial aid.
Applicants currently receiving financial aid should be aware that receiving funding from the Student Emergency Grant might affect their financial aid package.
Note: COVID funds are no longer available, and no funding can be disbursed directly. Funds must be applied to your student account and will refund through the regular refund process after all account charges are paid.
Students who have exhausted their aid eligibility will be given preference for the limited funds available.
Types of expenses that may be covered
- Replacement of essential personal belongings due fire, flood, theft, or natural disaster;
- Emergency or temporary housing assistance
- Emergency medication costs (not covered by insurance)
- Assistance with rent or utilities due to an emergency situation
- Emergency transportation
- Temporary support costs for a student in a dangerous situation due to threats or acts of violence
- Other school related expenses.
Types of expenses that are NOT covered
- Normal and anticipated academic expenses (tuition, fees, health insurance, and study abroad costs)
- Non-essential utilities, household, or furniture costs not related to damage or theft
- Parking tickets or other fines
- Costs for entertainment, recreation, non-emergency travel or other non-essential expenses.
- Expenses for members of the student's family
- No outstanding balance owed to the university.
- Be currently enrolled students at Wayne State University
- Have a financial hardship resulting from an emergency, accident, or other unexpected, critical incident
- Complete all application questions in full and submit supporting documentation
- Demonstrate that all other possible resources have been considered and are either unavailable or insufficient.
Awards are dependent on available funding. Not all applicants will receive an award. We will make every effort to have a decision on your application within three to five business days. All application decisions are final. If approved, students will be notified of the amount and the money will be distributed through the regular refund process. An approval or denial message will be posted in the Financial Aid Portal under Notifications. Email will be sent to your WSU email account.
Individual awards will be capped at $1,000. If you have extenuating circumstances and need for a higher amount of funding, please indicate the amount in your explanation statement. The award amount is based on need and available funding.
If awarded, funds will be applied to your student account within three to five days of approval. If you have no outstanding balance, the award will be refunded back to you via direct deposit or a mailed paper check. Sign up for direct deposit in Academica to ensure you receive your refund as quickly and securely as possible.
Supporting documentation greatly assists review of your request. If this is your second request, you must submit documentation or receipts from your first request. Failure to do so will result in denial of your new request.