FAQs for new students

The Office of Student Financial Aid remains open and is available to assist you with your questions about your financial aid and scholarships. You can reach us by sending an email to studentservice@wayne.edu or calling us at 313-577-2100. Please check our website, as many questions can be answered here.

After you file the annual FAFSA, you can check the status of your financial aid award and outstanding requirements at any time in the Financial Aid Portal in Academica.

Messages from our office will be sent to your WSU email account. We also post messages in the Financial Aid Portal in Academica. If you receive a request from our office, follow up as soon as you can to ensure that your financial aid will not be delayed.

Below are frequently asked questions about receiving your aid, aid requirements and your awards.

Receiving financial aid

When will my financial aid pay to my account?

We will begin applying aid to student account balances for eligible students attending fall 2024 semester on August 19, 2024 and on January 3, 2025 for students attending the winter 2025 semester.

How do I receive my awards?

Financial aid is applied directly towards your tuition and housing charges. If you have funding remaining after financial aid pays to your account, you will receive a refund. We encourage students to sign up for direct deposit if they are expecting a refund; otherwise, you will receive a paper check in the mail.

If you do not have enough money to cover your charges, you will have a balance left over. You will need to determine how you will pay towards this balance. A balance can prevent you from being able to register for the next semester.

How can I purchase my books?

You have the option to purchase or rent books from the WSU Bookstore with a book voucher during the fall and winter semesters.  

A book voucher is an advance on your financial aid refund that allows you to purchase or rent books and supplies at the WSU Bookstore. The amount of the book voucher will be deducted from your financial aid refund. Eligible students will be notified via their WSU email address. You must authorize your book voucher each semester, by the posted deadline, before you can use it at the bookstore. You can authorize it online in Academica.

What are my options if I do not have enough to cover my balance?

Installment payment plans installment payment plans allow you to spread payments over the course of the semester.

Federal Parent PLUS Loan  parents of dependent undergraduate students can apply for a federal student loan to help with education expenses. This loan requires a credit check. If a parent is not approved, the student may be offered a limited amount of additional unsubsidized loan.

Private education loans private education loans are distributed through a private bank or lender. These loans are credit-based and many students will require a co-signer.

How do I determine my tuition costs?

After you register for classes, you can check your account charges in Academica. Under Resources, select Student Resources, then Financial Records. Click "eBill Statement and Payment History" to see your charges.

Determining how much it costs to attend Wayne State University varies by student. You are responsible for your direct costs tuition and housing, if you choose to live on campus these charges will be on your eBill. Tuition is charged based on your college and level. You can estimate the cost of tuition using the tuition calculator. If you do decide to live in housing, you can visit the housing website to estimate the cost of your room and meal plan.

Your direct costs are not the only things you will need to be successful in college. In addition to your direct costs, you will also need to factor in: books, supplies, transportation costs (if applicable), and housing costs (if applicable). 

What is course participation?

Financial aid recipients are expected to attend all courses throughout the semester and your instructor is required to confirm your participation. Financial aid for eligible students is not disbursed after the beginning of the semester unless your instructor confirms your course participation. If your participation is not confirmed by the end of the second week of the semester, your federal financial aid amount may be reduced or canceled.

You may view your course confirmation status in Academica. Click on Student Resources, under Student Records, click on Course Participation Status to see the status of each registered course.

Aid requirements

How do I check for outstanding requirements?

You can check your financial aid requirements in the Financial Aid Portal in Academica. Complete any outstanding requirements as soon as possible.

What is the best way to turn in documents?

There are multiple ways to submit documents to us remotely. Check your financial aid requirements in the Financial Aid Portal in Academica. Many of our forms are electronic, and can be submitted to us directly. Documents without social security numbers or other personally identifiable information can also be emailed to us at studentservice@wayne.edu

How do I complete Entrance Loan Counseling?

Entrance Loan Counseling is required for all first-time Federal Loan borrowers and must be completed before you can receive your loan funding. You can complete Entrance Loan Counseling here. Sign in with your FSA ID and password. WSU will be notified within a few days after you complete Entrance Loan Counseling and your record will be updated.

How do I complete the Master Promissory Note?

A Master Promissory Note lists the terms under which you are borrowing and signing it means that you agree to pay back the loan. All student loan borrowers must sign a Master Promissory Note before they can receive loan funding. You can sign your Master Promissory Note here. Sign in with your FSA ID and password. WSU will be notified within a few days after you complete your promissory note and we will update your record.

Your awards

How do I view my financial aid award package?

You can check your financial aid requirements in the Financial Aid Portal in Academica. Review your awards under the "Award Offer" tab.

My financial situation is not the same as reflected on my FAFSA, do I have options?

We understand that the information on your FAFSA may not reflect you and/or your parents' current financial situation. If this is the case, contact our office and we will walk you through the Special Circumstance Appeal process