Changes to your aid

Revisions requested by you

Changing your response

If you accepted or declined a full or partial loan offer in Academica and want to change your response, complete the loan revision form and submit it to the financial aid office.

Loan cancellation

You have the right to cancel all or a portion of the loan and have the canceled funds returned to the lender.

  • You must notify the financial aid office in writing within 14 days of the date of the disbursement notice if you want to cancel all or a portion of the loan.

Requesting a review of your eligibility for special circumstances

If you and your family have extenuating circumstances that you believe affect your ability to pay your educational costs, you may request a review of your financial aid eligibility after you have filed your FAFSA.

Submission of a Special Circumstances Appeal does not guarantee a favorable change in your financial aid eligibility or award(s). 

  • If the Expected Family Contribution (EFC) on your FAFSA's Student Aid Report (SAR) is zero, do not submit this form. The maximum amount in financial aid possible is automatically awarded to students who have an EFC of zero.
  • If you have reached the federal lifetime Pell limit or the federal lifetime loan limit for your grade level and dependency status, we will not be able to award these funds.

To request a review of your extenuating financial circumstances:

  1. Contact our office to discuss your circumstances and obtain the Special Circumstances Appeal Form.
  2. Submit the Special Circumstances Form with an explanation statement.
  3. Attach all documentation that supports your extenuating financial circumstances. Appeals submitted without the required supporting documentation will be denied.

The following DO NOT qualify—singularly or in combination—as special circumstances that merit review.

  1. Parents refuse to contribute to your education.
  2. Parents are unwilling to provide information on your FAFSA or for verification.
  3. Parents do not claim you as a dependent for income tax purposes.
  4. You demonstrate total self-sufficiency.

Dependency override

If you do not meet the federal guidelines to be considered independent for financial aid purposes, we may in limited circumstances, override this federal regulation. Instances where a student's parents are unwilling to provide their information or a student is self-supporting are not justification alone for granting a dependency override. You must submit documentation that substantiates your situation. 

The dependency override form is available on our status appeal forms page.

Revisions by the financial aid office

If your eligibility changes, we may be required to make adjustments to your awards.

Your participation in class must be confirmed by your instructor. If you fail to attend class your financial aid may be reduced or canceled. 

If it is necessary to revise your award, we will notify you via email to review your awards in Academica. You may also have a message from us in Academica in the Student Resources section.

Verification review

Selected for verification? You are required to submit documentation in order for us to confirm your financial aid eligibility.

  • Once the verification process is complete, your awards may be revised to reflect your correct eligibility.
  • If you fail to complete the verification process you will not receive your financial aid funds.

​Mid-year updates

Did you receive aid from another school in the same academic year? Mid-semester or mid-year changes or updates to your FAFSA or your student status may result in eligibility changes.

  • If you attended another school and we are notified that there has been a change in your loan or Federal Pell Grant amounts, your award will be reviewed and may be revised.

Non-enrollment or reduction in credit hours

Financial aid awards are based on your regular, full-time enrollment in an eligible degree or certificate program.

  • If you enroll less than full time, your financial aid awards may be reduced or canceled.
  • Your participation in class must be confirmed by your instructor. If you fail to attend class your financial aid may be reduced or canceled. 
  • If you do not enroll for a semester, aid and loans for that semester will be canceled.
  • If you intend to re-enroll within the academic year, you may submit a Loan Revision Form to request a review of your award.​​
  • If you drop or withdraw from all classes your aid may be canceled and you may owe a balance to the the university.

Satisfactory Academic Progress

  • You must maintain satisfactory academic progress. Your award is invalid if the Satisfactory Academic Progress standards have not been met.
  • If you have extenuating circumstances, you may appeal this decision.

Additional aid from outside sources

  • All educational resources (i.e. scholarships, stipends, etc.) that are not listed on the award notification must be reported to the Office of Student Financial Aid.
  • You cannot receive financial aid funding above your cost of attendance.
  • When additional aid is received after other financial aid awards have disbursed, it may result in the reversal of other aid and leave you with an outstanding balance.