Disbursement and refunds

Semester disbursements

We will begin applying aid to student account balances for students attending the following semesters:

Fall 2020 semester - August 24
Winter 2021 semester - January 5
School of Medicine MD Program - disbursement dates

Full-time enrollment is a requirement to receive WSU scholarships, grants, and participate in tuition pledge programs. Keep in mind that the majority of these awards require that you pass 30 credits each academic year. Borrowing a student loan? You will need to be enrolled at least half-time.

Financial aid will not disburse after the first day of the semester until your class participation is confirmed by your instructor.  If your participation is not confirmed in all classes your aid may be reduced or canceled. 

If you enroll in a later starting course, funds will not disburse until at least 10 days prior to the start of class. If you enroll only in a shortened module course, your cost of attendance and awards may be adjusted.

Your participation in class must be confirmed by your instructor. If you fail to attend class your financial aid will be reduced or canceled. This could cause a balance owed to the University.

Students will begin receiving semester refunds the first week of classes. ​If you add a class after your aid is refunded, remember to pay your balance before late fees are charged.

Paying your remaining balance

Information about late payment fees.

Student loan enrollment requirements

Before we can apply a federal student loan to your account, we must confirm your eligibility. You must be registered at least half time at the time we disburse your federal direct loan funds. Half-time during the summer semester is 6 credits for an undergraduate, 3 credits for a Law School student and 1 credit for a graduate student.

Note: If your participation in class is not verified by any of your instructors, you are not eligible for federal student loans. 

More information about aid during the spring and summer semesters.

Your refund

Your financial aid will be applied to your balance to pay for your tuition, fees and any on-campus housing charges. When these charges are paid, the Student Accounts Receivable Office will refund any remaining credit balance to you.

This excess aid is for you to use for your books, housing, food, transportation and other miscellaneous costs.

You must be making Satisfactory Academic Progress (SAP). If you are not meeting SAP standards, you may file an appeal for aid eligibility consideration.

The refund process

The refund process begins the following Monday or Tuesday after financial aid has paid to your eBill.

Wayne State University student refunds will no longer be processed through Higher One. If you currently have a checking account serviced by Higher One, you can continue to utilize it by enrolling in direct deposit through WSU and providing the Higher One routing and bank account information.  Access your Higher One information at myonemoney.com.

Wayne State University issues refunds to students' accounts once a week.  Refunds can be released in two ways:

1.    Direct deposit into an existing U.S. checking or savings account
2.    Paper check mailed to the address on file with WSU

Accounts may be viewed in Academica to determine if a refund has been issued.

Students may enroll in direct deposit by logging into Academica. Select Financial Records, Direct Deposit Student Refunds and follow the instructions. 

Paper checks are mailed to the most current mailing address in Academica, beginning on the first day of the semester and bi-weekly thereafter. Students must keep their address current, as checks are mailed to the most current mailing address in Academica and made payable to the student.  A refund will only be generated if an active address is on file. 

Please Note: Refund checks are not available for pickup.

Processing times

 WSU posts refunds to students' accounts once a week on Mondays. More information is available on the Student Accounts Receivable website.

Refund option Timing after the refund has been posted
Paper check 9 business days
ACH/direct deposit  6-7 business days

Returning a refund

You have the right to cancel all or a portion of your student loans and may do so by notifying us in writing within 14 days of your disbursement notice.

Federal loan return form

If you withdrawal or do not attend class, you may owe a balance

If you withdraw from all courses in any semester, we are required to calculate an amount of financial aid to return to federal programs. This may leave you with a balance owed to the university.

If you fail to attend class, your financial aid may be reduced or canceled.