Aid during spring-summer

At WSU, the 2021 spring-summer semester is part of the 2020-21 academic year and a 2020-21 FAFSA is required. We will use your FAFSA information to determine your aid eligibility.

Plan to enroll in spring-summer? Additional Federal Pell Grant funds are available if you are Pell eligible and attend at least 6 credits. Information about the spring/summer tuition break can be found on the tuition website.

Note: Spring-summer Federal Pell grant awards are estimates only and will be finalized in April. 

Request forms for the spring-summer 2021 semester will be available in March 2021.

Spring-summer 2021 loan request form

Spring-summer 2021 federal work-study request form

Spring-summer Intent to Attend after Withdrawal form

Spring or summer session withdrawals

Caution: If you withdraw from all courses in any summer session, and do not indicate your intent to attend courses, we are required to calculate an amount of financial aid to return to federal programs. This may leave you with a balance owed to the university,

If you drop credits or enroll less-than-half time before disbursement of the loan, you will no longer be eligible for the loan.

Intent to attend future courses forms

Satisfactory academic progress

We will begin reviewing winter 2021 grades in May, to determine your satisfactory academic progress (SAP) status. Your spring and summer 2021 SAP status will be posted on Academica. In the WSU Resources section, select Student Resources. Watch your WSU email for more information.

  • If you have been denied financial aid, you must file a SAP appeal if you want us to reconsider your eligibility. 
  • Not everyone who files an appeal will be approved. You must demonstrate a clear ability to meet SAP standards.

Award notification

Spring/summer award offers may be viewed on WSU Academica and will be posted beginning in April. We will send a message to your WSU email account advising you to review Academica. Financial aid staff are available in the Welcome Center lobby if you wish to discuss your eligibility.

Spring-summer disbursements

Financial aid will not disburse after the first day of the semester until your class participation is confirmed by your instructor. If your participation is not confirmed in all classes, your aid may be reduced or canceled. 

If you enroll in a later starting course, funds will not disburse until at least 10 days prior to the start of class. If you enroll only in a shortened module course, your cost of attendance and awards may be adjusted.

Your participation in class must be confirmed by your instructor. If you fail to attend class, your financial aid will be reduced or canceled. This could cause a balance owed to the University.

Students will begin receiving semester refunds the first week of classes. ​If you add a class after your aid is refunded, remember to pay your balance before late fees are charged.

Spring-summer disbursement dates


Spring/Summer Tuition Break

Information about the spring/summer tuition break can be found on the tuition website. Awards are made after registration for the semester. If you believe you are eligible, and more than a week has passed since you registered for the semester, please contact the Student Service Center for more information at Your award will appear as pending aid on your account balance in Academica until financial aid is disbursed for the semester.

Federal Pell Grant limits

Additional Federal Pell Grant

If you enroll at least half-time (6 credits hours or more) during the spring-summer you may be eligible to receive additional Federal Pell Grant funding over your annual limit.

If you do not enroll at least half-time (6 credit hours or more) during the spring-summer you will only receive funds if you have not exhausted your annual limit.

Spring-Summer Pell examples

These examples assume you have a zero EFC, have not exhausted your lifetime Pell limit and are otherwise Pell eligible.

$6095 12 credits
12 credits
3 credits
0 remaining from annual award
0 additional Pell - must be enrolled 6 credits or more
$6095 12 credits
12 credits
6 credits
$1524 additional Pell
$6095 12 credits
9 credits
12 credits
 $762 remaining from annual award
 $2285 additional Pell
Total:    $3047
$6095 12 credits
12 credits
12 credits
0 from annual award
 $3047 additional Pell

The amount of Federal Pell Grant funds you may receive over your lifetime is limited. The spring-summer semester award will count toward your lifetime limit. 

The maximum Pell you may receive during your college career is 600%, or roughly 12 semesters. The additional spring-summer Pell Grant counts toward the aggregate total. If you are enrolled full-time in fall, winter and spring-summer, you may be eligible to receive 150% of your total Pell award.

Federal Direct loan eligibility

Did you borrow the maximum loan amount for your grade level during the fall and winter semesters? If yes, you are NOT eligible to borrow federal direct loans during the spring/summer semester.

  • You must ACCEPT a loan offer via Academica before your term ends or the loan offer cannot be processed with the Department of Education. 
  • You must be enrolled at least half-time or funds will not be applied.
  • You are responsible for completing all required loan entrance counseling, loan promissory notes, and any PLUS Loan applications online at Log in with your FAFSA PIN.

Federal Parent PLUS or Grad PLUS Loans

The borrower MUST complete the PLUS loan application online at

  • Apply for the 2020-21 award year.
  • If you select the 2021-22 award year, your application cannot be processed for summer 2021.

See our web pages for more information on Federal Parent PLUS and Grad PLUS Loans.

Federal Work-study

Work-study is a federally funded program designed for students who have financial need as determined by the FAFSA.

  • A Federal Work-study award is not a guarantee of a job. You must find employment to earn the funds.
  • Work-study funds are very limited and not all eligible applicants will receive an award. 
  • If you do not take summer courses, but intend to enroll in the fall semester, you may declare an off-semester by submitting the "Off Semester Form" to the Career Services Office. If you are not attending at least half-time, standard FICA taxes will be deducted from your paycheck.
  • You may work up to 20 hours per week while you are enrolled.

To be paid, it is your responsibility to complete the necessary payroll paperwork with your employer and submit time sheets promptly. Allow 3 to 4 weeks to receive your first paycheck after you and your employer complete the necessary payroll paperwork. 

Federal work-study funds for the spring-summer award period may be used only during the spring-summer semester (assuming the student has a work-study award for the spring-summer award period).