FAFSA changes for 2018-19
The Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA) is available starting October 1, 2017 for the 2018-19 academic year. Students are required to use tax information from 2016 to submit the 2018-19 FAFSA. You can file your FAFSA now.
When you complete the 2018-19 FAFSA at fafsa.gov, use the WSU school code 002329.
File your FAFSA as early as possible for maximum aid consideration, keeping these things in mind:
- File your 2018-19 FAFSA by December 1, 2017 for maximum aid consideration.
- To be considered for a State of Michigan scholarship, Michigan residents must file the FAFSA by March 1, 2018.
- To be considered for a WSU grant award, new freshmen are encouraged to file the FAFSA by December 1, 2017.
- Students who file late will be considered only for the Federal Pell Grant and Federal Direct Loans.
If your 2018-19 FAFSA is selected for verification you may be asked to provide an IRS Verification of Non-filing Letter. This letter is required if you are reporting that you will not or are not required to file a U.S. Federal Income Tax Return. You may request this letter on the IRS website.
IRS Data Retrieval
Use the IRS Data Retrieval tool when you file your 2018-19 FAFSA and your 2016 income and tax information will be added automatically.
If your FAFSA is selected for verification, you may be asked to supply a copy of your IRS tax transcript. A tax transcript can be obtained online at irs.gov/transcript.
2018-19 FAFSA FAQs
- Can I use 2017 income and tax information for the 2018-19 academic year?
No. 2016 income and tax information will be used when you apply for the 2018-19 academic year.
When you are attending (school year) When you can submit a FAFSA Which year's income and tax information is required July 1, 2017 – June 30, 2018 October 1, 2016 – June 30, 2018 2015 July 1, 2018 – June 30, 2019
October 1, 2017 – June 30, 2019
2016 July 1, 2019 – June 30, 2020 October 1, 2018 – June 30, 2020 2017
- Do I have to be admitted before I add Wayne State to the FAFSA? No need to wait. Use our school code 002329 on the FAFSA. Once you are admitted we will be able to determine your eligibility.