International students

You do not need to be a U.S. citizen to be admitted to WSU. There are scholarships awarded through the Undergraduate Admissions Office and the Graduate School that do not include citizenship or permanent resident status as requirements.

Federal student aid

You must be a citizen of the United States or have lawful permanent resident status to receive federal financial aid.

The standard documentation for a permanent resident of the United States is the Permanent Resident Card (Form I-551, since 1997) or Resident Alien Card (Form I-551, before 1997).

You are not eligible for federal financial aid if:

  • You have only a Notice of Approval to Apply for Permanent Residence (I-717 or I-464)
  • You are in the United States on only a F1 or F2 student visa
  • You are in the United States on only a J1 or J2 exchange visitor visa

Additional resources

Any matters pertaining to immigration or cross-cultural adjustment issues can be addressed through the WSU Office of International Students and Scholars (OISS).

Information and resources for international students is available from the following organizations:

Resident tuition application

You may apply for resident status if you are in the United States for any reasons other than temporary educational purposes. 

Visit the WSU Records and Registration website for more information.