Transferring credit

Transferring your previously earned college courses to Wayne State is an important part of earning your degree faster. There is no limit to the amount of credits you can transfer to Wayne State, and maximizing your credits can save you time and money. We offer a few tools to help you understand what courses may transfer to Wayne State. 

Transfer Equivalency Self-Service 

Wayne State's Transfer Equivalency Self-Service tool (TESS) provides an unofficial degree audit that indicates how your transfer credit is applied and which courses are still required to complete the degree.

Course equivalency tool

If you're curious about how individual classes you've taken may transfer to Wayne State, use the tool below. 

Course equivalency search tool


  • If your institution does not appear in the search, Wayne State does not currently have information for that particular school. Please email with a message that includes the name of the institution, course title and number and a syllabus so we can evaluate the content for course equivalency.
  • Some schools have multiple listings with different campus locations. Please use your school's main campus (e.g., Baker College-Flint is the main campus, as opposed to Baker College-Muskegon). 

Transfer Credit Policy 

Wayne State University policy accepts transfer credit from all regionally accredited institutions of higher education, both community colleges and baccalaureate-granting colleges and universities. See Undergraduate University Bulletin for more details and institutions not regionally accredited. 

No transfer grades apply in computing Wayne State grade point averages.

Transfer Credit Evaluation questions, please email 

Remedial or Developmental Course Work

Credit earned in courses designated remedial or developmental will not transfer.

Redundant or Duplicative Course Work

Transfer credit will not be awarded for redundant coursework (i.e., courses with substantially duplicative content). Credit will be awarded for only one course in any set of redundant courses.

Residency and Upper Division Requirements

Transfer students will be required to meet the University and College residency requirements and to obtain the same number of upper-division credits in fulfillment of the baccalaureate degree as are required of native students in specific major programs.

Send official transcripts to: 

Wayne State University
Transfer Credit Evaluation
P.O. Box 02759
Detroit, MI 48202-0759 

Official electronic transcripts should be emailed to

For more information and individualized service or questions about transfer credit, please contact the Transfer Student Success Center or review the University Bulletin.