Scholarships and aid

In addition to offering the lowest tuition among Michigan's research college, Wayne State University offers several scholarship and financial aid opportunities to help students fund their education. In 2022, we awarded nearly $335 million in financial aid to our students through federal, state, institutional and private financial aid programs and scholarships. 

Scholarships for international students

Wayne State University is committed to enrolling a diverse and talented student population. U. S. citizenship is not a requirement for admission and all incoming students will be considered for merit awards. 

Information about financial aid sources outside of WSU for international and Canadian students is available at:

  • - SmartStudent guide to studying in the USA
  • - CanLearn student financial assistance for Canadian citizens
  • - Mexican American Legal Defense and Educational Fund

Some non-citizens qualify for federal student aid. Citizens of the United States and eligible non-citizens need to complete the Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA) to be considered for other available funding. 

Federal Student Aid website

Wayne State University schools, colleges and departments

There are scholarships and fellowships awarded through some university schools, colleges and departments that do not include citizenship or permanent resident status as a criterion. We also encourage you to explore the external scholarship listings.

Departmental scholarships

Resident tuition application

If you are in the United States for other than a temporary educational purpose, you may apply for resident status in the same manner as a U. S. citizen.

Registration and scheduling

Applying for financial aid 

You do not need to be a U.S. citizen to be admitted to WSU. Scholarships are available through the Undergraduate Admissions Office and the Graduate School that do not require citizenship or permanent resident status.

Federal student aid

To receive federal financial aid, you must be a citizen of the United States or have lawful permanent resident status.

The standard documentation for a permanent resident of the United States is the Permanent Resident Card (Form I-551, since 1997) or Resident Alien Card (Form I-551, before 1997).

You are not eligible for federal financial aid if:

  • You have only a Notice of Approval to Apply for Permanent Residence (I-717 or I-464)
  • You are in the United States on only a F1 or F2 student visa
  • You are in the United States on only a J1 or J2 exchange visitor visa

Additional resources

For immigration or cross-cultural adjustment issues, contact the WSU Office of International Students and Scholars (OISS).

Resident tuition application

You may apply for resident status if you are in the United States for any reasons other than temporary educational purposes. 

Visit the WSU Records and Registration website for more information.