Transferring credit

Making sure your previously earned college courses transfer to Wayne State can play a major role in helping you earn your degree faster. There is no limit to the amount of credits you can transfer from your previous institution to Wayne State, and maximizing your credits can save you time and money. We offer several tools to help you understand how your previous coursework may transfer over to Wayne State University. 

When preparing to transfer, it's important to consider two questions: 

What will transfer?

All college-level classes from regionally accredited colleges with a grade of 2.0 (C) or above will transfer. There are no specific limits to the number of transfer credits. However, each academic program has specific requirements that must be satisfied, which helps determine the best number of credits to transfer.

How will credits transfer?

Courses transfer as the number of credits earned at the college where you took the class. This is true regardless of the number of credits the Wayne State equivalent course is worth. Each transferred course will match one of the following types of credit:

  • Equivalent credit  Course(s) that are determined to satisfy a specific requirement and/or prerequisite.
  • Department credit Course(s) that don't closely match a specific WSU course, but transfer into the academic department. Usually major elective credit.
  • Elective credit Course(s) that don't match a specific WSU course or "fit" into an academic department. Usually transferred as general elective credit (GEN 1XXX or GEN 2XXX). Elective credit can be used to complete graduation requirements.

Course Equivalency Tool

If you're curious about how individual classes you've taken may transfer to Wayne State, use the Course Equivalency Tool below. 

Course equivalency search tool


  • If your institution does not appear in the search, Wayne State does not currently have information for that particular school. Please email with a message that includes the name of the institution, course title and number and a syllabus so we can evaluate the content for course equivalency.
  • Some schools have multiple listings with different campus locations. Please use your school's main campus (e.g., Baker College-Flint is the main campus, as opposed to Baker College-Muskegon). 

Send transcripts to: 

Wayne State University
Transfer Credit Evaluation
P.O. Box 02759
Detroit, MI 48202-0759 

Official electronic transcripts should be emailed to

If you have any questions, please contact the Transfer Student Success Center