FAFSA changes for 2019-20
The Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA) is available starting October 1, 2018 for the 2019-20 academic year. Students are required to use tax information from 2017 to submit the 2019-20 FAFSA. You can file your FAFSA now.
When you complete the 2019-20 FAFSA at fafsa.gov, use the WSU school code 002329.
Use the mobile app
File your FAFSA as early as possible for maximum aid consideration, keeping these things in mind:
- File your 2019-20 FAFSA by December 1, 2018 for maximum aid consideration.
- To be considered for a State of Michigan scholarship, Michigan residents must file the FAFSA by March 1, 2019.
- To be considered for a WSU grant award, new freshmen are encouraged to file the FAFSA by December 1, 2018.
- Students who file late will be considered only for the Federal Pell Grant and Federal Direct Loans.
If your FAFSA is selected for verification you may be asked to provide an IRS Verification of Non-filing Letter. This letter is required if you are reporting that you will not or are not required to file a U.S.. Federal Income Tax Return. You may request this letter on the IRS website.
IRS Data Retrieval
Use the IRS Data Retrieval tool when you file your FAFSA and your income and tax information will be added automatically.
If your FAFSA is selected for verification, you may be asked to supply a copy of your IRS tax transcript. A tax transcript can be obtained online at irs.gov/transcript.
2019-20 FAFSA FAQs
- Can I use 2018 income and tax information for the 2019-20 academic year?
No. 2017 income and tax information will be used when you apply for the 2019-20 academic year.
When you are attending (school year) When you can submit a FAFSA Which year's income and tax information is required July 1, 2018 – June 30, 2019
October 1, 2017 – June 30, 2019
2016 July 1, 2019 – June 30, 2020 October 1, 2018 – June 30, 2020 2017 July 1, 2020– June 30, 2021 October 1, 2019 – June 30, 2021 2018
- Do I have to be admitted before I add Wayne State to the FAFSA? No need to wait. Use our school code 002329 on the FAFSA. Once you are admitted we will be able to determine your eligibility.