Radiation Therapy Technology
Radiation Therapists have a unique opportunity to blend math, science and psychology in daily work as they treat cancer. They focus on treating cancer patients with high-energy beam radiation using complex treatment machines. Because these hands-on, high-tech treatments span weeks and even months, therapists also build relationships with their patients and provide critical emotional support.
The WSU Pre-med and Health Science Center (PMHSC) provides academic advising for the Pre-Radiation Therapy Technology student. The advisor will meet with you in-person or on-line to assist you in course selection and make you aware of the GPA requirement, attendance at information meetings, course completion and admission application deadlines, submission of official transcripts (WSU and transfer), clinical visits, interviews, international student affairs (transcript evaluation and TOEFL), as well as contact information.
Science prerequisite requirements
- BIO 1500 - Basic Life Diversity & Lab
- BIO 1510 - Basic Life Mechanisms & Lab (NSIL)
- BIO 2870 - Anatomy & Physiology & Lab
- CHM 1020 - Survey of General Chemistry & Lab (NSIL)
- MAT 1800 - Elementary Functions (QE)
- PHY 2130 & 2131 - General Physics I & Lab (NSIL)
- PHY 2140 & 2141 - General Physics II & Lab
Math and science prerequisite coursework must be completed within six years of the time of admission to the professional program.
Non-science prerequisite requirements
- ENG 1020 - Introductory College Writing (BC)
- ENG 3010 - Intermediate Writing (IC)
- PSY 1010 or 1020 - Introductory Psychology (NSI)
- PSY 2300 - Psychology of Everyday Living (alternatives: PSY 2410 or PSY 2400)
- PS 1010 - American Government (SI or CIV)
- COM 1010 - Oral Communication (OC) (course required)
- PHI 1050 Critical Thinking (exam option)
University general education/degree requirements*
- Cultural Inquiry (CI)
- Diversity, Equity, and Inclusion (DEI)
- Global Learning (GL)
- Social Inquiry (SI) or Civic Literacy (CIV), whichever not covered by PS1010 above.
- Wayne Experience (WE)
*Note: Students who hold a previous bachelor's degree or who qualify under the university's MTA transfer policy (see transfercredit.wayne.edu) are exempt from completing the General Education requirements listed above.
In addition to coursework, the following requirements must be met:
- Completion of all pre-professional courses by the end of the winter semester before admission to the professional program
- Minimum 2.50 overall GPA, as well as a minimum 2.0 science and non-science prerequisite cumulative GPA
- All grades in prerequisite requirements must be a minimum of "C" or better (2.0 on a 4.0 grade scale). Due to the unique situation created by COVID-19, many institutions are allowing students to choose a Pass/No Pass option in lieu of a letter grade in certain semesters. The program encourages applicants to receive letter grades in their prerequisite courses. P/N will be accepted if the grading institution's policy is a C or better to receive a Pass. If the school accepts C- or below as a Pass, students will be required to submit a letter from the instructor documenting what the grade earned would have been (in the case of WSU courses, since we can view that grade in the system, such a letter will not be required). This policy applies to the following semesters: Winter 2020, Spring/Summer 2020, Fall 2020, Winter 2021, and Spring/Summer 2021.
- Due to the COVID-19 pandemic, the clinical site visit requirement is being waived for the 2021 application cycle. Typically, applicants are required to complete two clinical visits at affiliated radiation therapy facilities, and all clinical visits must be arranged by Radiation Therapy Technology faculty to satisfy program requirements.
- Attendance at a College Information Meeting is required. Learn more information about the pharmacy admission process. Meetings are currently being held on Zoom.
- Equivalent pre-professional coursework taken at an accredited college or university is acceptable.
Applicants should refer to the Radiation Therapy Technology (RTT) Application Checklist for a complete overview of how to apply to the WSU RTT program including the application deadline and all supporting documentation.