Academic and research excellence
Academic excellence and pioneering research are central to our mission and a primary reason why graduate and undergraduate students alike choose to attend Wayne State. We're Michigan's only urban research university, and we've received the Carnegie Foundation's highest classifications for research and community engagement, with annual research expenditures of more than $238 million. We're also a member of the University Research Corridor along with the University of Michigan and Michigan State University, generating 95% of research in the state and supporting economic growth throughout Michigan. As one of the city's largest employers, Wayne State has a nearly $2.5 billion impact in Detroit — a driving force behind the city's resurgence.
From medicine and mechanical engineering to graphic design and geology, our faculty members are renowned for innovation and expertise in their fields, crafting hands-on curricula to take students out of the classroom and into the real world. We're increasingly known for our interdisciplinary research in areas such as health sciences and disparities, the environment, entrepreneurship and data analytics, human services and education, manufacturing, language and the arts. Whether in the lab or on the stage, we're making a measurable impact in our neighborhood and around the world.
- Ranked in the top 1.4% of universities worldwide — Center for World University Rankings
- Best business school — Princeton Review
- No. 2 medical institution for research in Michigan — U.S. News and World Report
- Top 100 law school, second in Michigan — U.S. News and World Report
- Named one of the nation's best law schools for bar prep – The National Jurist
- Top-ranked physician assistant program in Michigan — U.S. News and World Report
- Social work program ranked in country's top 20% — U.S. News and World Report
- Nursing-anesthesia program ranked in the country's top 20% —U.S. News and World Report
- Home to IBio, a $90 million facility dedicated to eliminating health disparities in Detroit
- Home to TechTown, Detroit's most established business accelerator and incubator
- Home to the Hilberry Theatre, the nation's first graduate repertory company
- We've helped faculty innovators submit more than 800 patent applications since 2009
- Wayne Law provides pro-bono legal services to 100+ clients annually