Student Service Center

Today's expected service time

    • N/A

      Welcome Center Lobby
    • Welcome Center Lobby

    • 15-30

    • Phones

    • Jan 14

    • Email sent on

Contact Us

(313) 577-2100

You can send in PDF copies of documents to us at: Please be sure to include your name and access ID in the email.

  • We do not accept Transcripts or Test Scores for Admissions Applications from parents or students.
  • Forms which require a signature can be scanned and emailed. 
  • We cannot accept type, or computer stylus, signatures.

See more contact details

Walk-In hours for the Student Service Center
Monday - Thursday: 8:30 a.m. - 6:00 p.m.
Friday: 8:30 a.m. - 5:00 p.m.
Financial Aid Officers are available on a walk-in basis Monday - Thursday from 8:30 a.m. - 5:30 p.m. and Fridays from 8:30 a.m. - 4:30 p.m. 
Phone hours for the Student Service Center 
Monday - Wednesday, Friday: 9:00 a.m. - 4:30 p.m.
Thursday: 11:00 a.m. - 4:30 p.m
Saturday and Sunday - Closed
Spring/Summer office hours: May 6, 2019 - August 9, 2019
Walk-In hours for the Student Service Center
Monday - Friday: 8:30 a.m. - 5:00 p.m.
Financial Aid Officers are available on a walk-in basis, Monday - Friday 8:30 a.m. - 4:30 p.m.
Phone hours for the Student Service Center
Monday - Thursday: 8:30 a.m. - 4:30 p.m.
Friday: 8:45 a.m. - 4:30 p.m.
Saturday and Sunday - Closed

Frequently requested information

What kind of information can I receive at the Student Service Center?

The Student Service Center is a one-stop shop created to answer questions for students, parents and anyone interested in Wayne State University.  We offer assistance with:

  • Undergraduate Admissions
  • Records and Registration
  • Office of Student Financial Aid
  • Students Accounts Receivable
  • SMART Check

Visit us in the Welcome Center, send us an email to, or call us at (313) 577-2100 to ask a question.


Are you Registration Ready and financially prepared for the next semester?

Are you Registration Ready and financially prepared for the next semester?

If you are unsure, we can help you get ready by checking a few easy things online.


  • Brownse for your courses online.
  • Learn how to register online using our easy registration instructions.
  • If you receive an error such as a prerequisite, closed section, etc. when you attempt to register for a course, contact the academic department which offers the class to discuss the available options. 
  • Register full time to take full advantage of your financial aid awards and reduce the time it takes to reach graduation.

Paying for classes

  • Semester bills are due on the following approximate dates:  Fall semester August 15, Winter semester December 15, Spring/Summer semester April 15. You can find your bill in Academica.
    • Log into Academica at
    • Select "Student Resources" then "Financial Records".
    • The "Bill/Account Summary" is your current actual balance, while the "eBill Statement and Payment History" is your monthly statement.
  • Making online payments
    • If you would like to pay your bill online, you can also do this in Academica. Select "Student Resources" then "Online payments".
    • Choose "Make an Online Payment" to make a payment now.
    • You can set up an account for your parent/guardian to make a payment using the "Parent Pin Online Payment Information".
  • Financial Aid has annual limits.
    • Winter semester financial aid will pay to students accounts the first week of January. Subtract your pending winter financial aid from your winter bill, the number left represents a balance - so you will know if you need to make a payment on your account. 
    • Grants and Scholarships have limits, enrollment requirements, and in some cases renewal criteria. Make sure to stay informed to get the most out of your awarded grant and scholarship funds.
    • Loan Limits – make sure you borrow wisely to minimize what you have to pay back after you graduate.
    • Financial Aid Requirements - Make sure you do not have outstanding Financial Aid Requirements.
      • On Academica, choose "Student Resources" then "Financial Aid". You can see any requests under "My Financial Aid Requirements".
  • Use a payment plan to make monthly tuition payments.


If you have a hold on your account, the first step is to figure out which hold you have and the steps needed to have the hold lifted.

  • Transcript/Graduation Hold - this hold does not prevent you from registering. If you sign up for a payment plan or if you have a current semester balance under $1,500, this hold prevents the release of Official Transcripts and your diploma.
    • How can you have this hold lifted? Pay your balance in full and this hold will automatically lift overnight.
  • Current Balance Hold - this hold means that you have a current semester balance over $1,500. This hold does prevent registration.
    • How can you have this hold lifted? Pay your balance under $1,500 and this hold will automatically lift overnight.
  • Account Balance, Pre-Collection, Collections and Written Off Balance. These holds prevent registration and you will need to pay your balance in full to be able to register for an upcoming semester. Call 313-577-3653 and choose option 5 to speak to someone about your past due balance.
  • You can see the full list of holds, and who to contact to help with your hold here.


Questions? Email us

Other departments may also be able to assist you with specific questions:


Important Dates

Summary of important dates

The official calendars for each office can be found below. This summary is a way to help you see important dates all in one place.

Official Academic Calendar 

Late Fees

eBill Schedule

Financial Aid Payment Dates

Book Voucher dates

This month's most popular answers at the Student Service Center:

This month's most popular questions at the Student Service Center:

Do I qualify for the Spring/Summer tuition discount?

Attending class year-round not only makes graduation arrive sooner but also helps students save money. This award allows undergraduate students to qualify for a 30 percent tuition discount toward spring/summer classes. To be eligible, students must have registered and be on track to complete 24 credits between Fall 2018 and Winter 2019, and must have a cumulative grade-point average of at least 2.5 at the end of Fall 2018.  Final evaluation of eligibility will be determined after the census date. Post-bachelor students may qualify if they meet requirements. Please note that the Spring/Summer Tuition Break cannot be combined with other tuition discounts (including employee and dependent discounts, senior citizen discounts and the Great Lakes Award) and will be applied as a financial aid award, which may affect a student's spring/summer federal and institutional aid.

Do I qualify for Spring/Summer financial aid?  

At WSU, the 2019 spring-summer semester is part of the 2018-19 academic year and a 2018-19 FAFSA is required. We will use your 2018-19 FAFSA information to determine your aid eligibility. For more information, visit here.

I've been admitted, what next? 

Your next steps are determined based on your student level. If you are an undergraduate, visit us online for your next steps. If you have been admitted to a graduate program, contact graduate admissions.

How do I accept my merit scholarship? 

You accept your merit scholarship through your admission portal at Once you have logged in, you will scroll to the Your Next Steps section and then click the link to the Terms & Conditions form for your scholarship. There is an agreement to read over, and at the bottom you indicate "Yes, I Accept" and then click the Submit button.

How do I accept my financial aid Terms and Conditions?

You can review the instructions on accepting the Terms and Conditions on our financial aid website.


Warrior Way Back

Earn your way back to learn at Wayne State University

Warrior Way Back is a process for students to earn their way back into Wayne State University. Warrior Way Back relieves past student balances of former Wayne State University students who did not graduate. You can email for additional information.

What can you do to prepare for the next semester?
What can you do to prepare for the next semester? Follow this simple checklist:

Complete any outstanding Financial Aid requirements.

  • Accept any awards in Academica. Choose Student Resources> Financial Aid> Accept my Financial Aid Awards
  • If you choose to email forms to us at, please use the subject line "Documents Attached" and include your access ID.  Send the attachments in .PDF format so we may transfer the form to the correct office in a prompt manner.
  • For more information, click here.
Pay off any outstanding tuition balances.
  • Check your balance in Academica. Choose Student Resources> Financial Records> Bill/Account Summary
  • View payment options here.
Resolve any holds you may have on your account.
  • Check for holds in Academica by clicking on the Student Resources> Student Records> Holds
  • If you have a hold, click here for more information.
Decide which classes you want to take.
  • Run a Degree Audit in Degree Works.
  • Meet with your advisor. Make an appointment on  Advising Works at
Visit the class schedule site.
  • Check out course-specific dates by clicking on the "Course Ref. No." link next to each course.
  • Start building your schedule so that you are prepared when registration begins.
  • If you need assistance, learn How to Register
Register for classes now!
  • For assistance, click here.
Past-due balances and holds

When a balance is due to the University, students will receive eBill emails every month to remind them to check their account. If the balance remains unpaid after mid-semester, they will start to receive financial holds and broadcast messages about these holds.

Financial Aid pays only charges which are assigned to all students. Students who see a remaining balance for course material, or late fees for example, can sign a Title IV Authorization form. This will allow Financial Aid to pay this type of charge in future semesters.

Financial holds indicate that a student should check their balance in Academica under Bill/Account Summary. These holds mean a balance is owed on the semester bill. 

  • The Transcript/Graduation Hold -This hold does not prevent registration for courses! Students who have signed up for a payment plan, or have a current semester balance under $1500, will have this hold which prevents release of Official Transcripts and diplomas.
  • Current Term Balance Hold - This hold means a student has a current semester balance of over $1500. This hold prevents registration, release of transcripts and receipt of a diploma. To remove this hold, a student would just pay the balance under $1500. The hold will automatically lift overnight.

Once the semester ends, and a new semester begins, holds will change.

  • Account Balance Hold - This hold does prevent registration, release of transcripts and receipt of a diploma. It means a student has a balance from a prior semester, which must be paid in full ($0). Once the balance is paid in full, the hold will release overnight.

When balances are unpaid for 45 days after the semester ends, the University will start the collections process. Student Accounts Receivable will mail a letter which contains a bill and a payment date. Students are encouraged to pay their accounts promptly to avoid collection and court costs.

Employees who are also students, will receive a letter asking them to pay the balance, or they will have an amount deducted from their pay or other checks.

After the mailed bill due date passes, there are 2 holds a student will see if their balance remains unpaid. These holds are placed on student accounts until the balance, and any collection costs, are paid in full.

  • Pre-Collect (PC) Hold – Students can still pay their bills on Academica, or mail a checks to Wayne State. Student Accounts Receivable will reach out to try to make a payment agreement on the balance due.
  • Collection Account Hold - After making an effort to contact a student for several months, past due accounts are turned over to an outside collection agency.  These agencies charge a percentage of what they collect as a fee.
    • At this point, a student would make payments to the agency.
    • If the agency does not have success in collecting payments, unpaid accounts are turned over to an outside attorney for the appropriate collection actions through the court.

Please contact the Student Accounts Receivable office at (313) 577-3653 and select option #5 if you have additional questions.

Prospective Students

There's no place on earth like Detroit. And there's no campus on earth like Wayne State. We're located in Midtown, in one of the country's fastest growing neighborhoods. On campus you will find 200 acres of green space, walking paths and buildings surrounded by renowned cultural institutions and industry-leading employers. Wayne State students and faculty participate in the reinvention of a great American city as they live, learn, work and play in the heart of Detroit

Learn more about our campus and Midtown here.

The Admission application is located at

Campus Walking Tours

Your visit will start with a short information session which will go over the admissions process and our academic programs. Then a current student will lead you on a guided walking tour to visit places such as the Student Center Building, Recreation and Fitness Center, Undergraduate Library, residence halls, and classrooms. Tours depart from the Welcome Center and last about 90 minutes. Guest parking is available in Structure 6 and costs nor more than $10 per day — both cash and credit/debit cards are accepted.

Campus Tours - for groups

Come on over — we’d love to show you around! We offer walking tours to students and their families, as well as groups of six or more people.  A current WSU student will lead your tour and give you an insider’s look at campus and academic life. Your Warrior Guide will answer any questions you have about Wayne State, and Admission's staff will talk about what it takes to be admitted to the university.


You have applied for Undergraduate Admission, what is next?

Great job, you have taken the first step to becoming a Warrior!  Now that you have applied for Undergraduate Admission, you should receive an email with your user name and password. Check your Clutter, Promotions tab or spam folders as sometimes our email lands in these folders.

  1. If you have not done so already, make sure to pay your $25 application fee online.
    • Go to to log into your application
      • Use your email address and password to log in to your application
    • In the Your Application Requirements section, select the Application Fee - Submit Payment for 25.00 USD link.
  2. If you are coming to Wayne State as a new student from High School, or you have less than 24 transferable college credits, please send us your SAT score using the WSU school code 1898. If you took the ACT you can send us your score using school code 2064.
  3. Ask your previous school(s) to send us your Official Transcript.  You can use Parchment/Docufide or have them mailed to us at:
    • Office of Undergraduate Admissions
      Wayne State University
      P.O. Box 02759
      Detroit, MI 48202
    • Once we receive your transcripts, please allow approximately 3 weeks before you can see them on your application status portal.
  4. If you plan to major in music or dance, be sure to schedule an audition with the department.


  1. How do I know if I have submitted my application?
    • You will receive an email from the Undergraduate Admissions Office to let you know your application has been submitted. If you use Gmail or Yahoo, the email may be in your promotions tab.
  2. How do I log back into my application to complete additional requests and upload documents?
    • Go to to log into your application
      • Use your email address and password to log in to your application
  3. How do I change the major on my Undergraduate Admissions application? 
E-mailing forms and documents to Wayne State

Many students and parents like the ease of scanning and emailing documents, but there are a few things you should know to make the process fast and efficient. 

  1. If you choose to scan and email a document to please use the subject line, "Document Attached" then add the office the document should go to so we can quickly get the document(s) transferred to the correct office. Please only submit .pdf files.
  2. Put your student number on the top left hand corner of your documents (if you have a student id)
  3. We cannot accept documents signed with a computer stylus and typed signatures. If a document requires a signature, you must ink sign the document and scan it before you email it to us.
  4. We do not accept links to outside “Drop Boxes”, "Sky Drives" or “One Drive” files.
  5. We cannot accept scanned Master Promissory notes for loans. Wayne State must receive the ink signed originals.
  6. Official transcripts are those issued directly by your previous institution to Wayne State. They can be accepted by email ONLY if they are sent through an electronic service directly from the school to Wayne State. Wayne State cannot accept transcripts sent from students by mail or email. Mailed copies of transcripts, which must come directly from the school, should be sent to:
    Office of Undergraduate Admissions
    Wayne State University
    P.O. Box 02759
    Detroit, MI 48202-0759
Wayne State Transcripts and/or Enrollment Verification

How do I order my Transcript?   Ordering an official transcript has become easier than ever! The process is now online.

Current students:
If you know your Access ID and password, proceed to the Transcript Request page. To reset your password, go here.
Former Students and Alumni:
If you do not know your Access ID and/or password, you may log into the Alternate Transcript Request Log In with the following:
  1. First Name
  2. Last Name
  3. Birthdate (MM/DD/YYYY - must include forward slashes)
  4. Last four digits of Social Security Number (SSN)
International students without a Social Security Number (SSN) will need to use their AccessID and password. Please contact the C&IT Help Desk at (313) 577-HELP (4357) for assistance. The C&IT Help Desk is available Monday - Friday, 7:30 a.m. to 8 p.m.
How can I get an Enrollment Verification?
Did you know you can print your Enrollment Verification Certificate from your Academica account? It’s as easy as 1-2-3!
  1. Log in to your Academica account at
  2. Click on Student Resources > Registration > Enrollment Verification
  3. Select the enrollment you would like verified and click on "Obtain an enrollment certificate"
The National Student Clearinghouse works in cooperation with Wayne State University to provide Enrollment Verification Certificates free of charge to our students. You can trust it. It’s the nation’s trusted source for education verification. By using this service, you can save yourself a visit to our office!
Financial Aid

Verification of your FAFSA (Free Application for Federal Student Aid) 

Selected for verification by the Department of Education?

  • Don’t worry! You are not alone, and you're not in trouble!
  • You need to provide paperwork to confirm the information that was provided on the FAFSA.
  • Even if you're not selected for verification, there may be outstanding requirements you need to complete to receive your aid.
  • It's important to review your financial aid status in Academica.

How will you know what documents to turn into the Office of Student Financial Aid?

  • Log into Academica and choose Student Resources> Financial Aid > My Financial Aid Requirements
  • Choose the school year to review
  • You will see a list of items to complete or documents to turn in

Remember to read your Wayne State email at least once a week. The Office of Student Financial Aid will email you reminders and notices about your financial aid.

What are some of the documents which could be requested? 
  • IRS Tax Transcript – you can request this form online or make the request via US mail. 
    • It can take 5-10 days to receive your transcripts in the mail. 
  • Didn't file your taxes? We'll need documentation of Non-filing status – if you or your parent has not filed a Federal Income Tax Return, you can also request this from the IRS. 
  • Other requested forms will have a link right to the form you need to complete. Some forms are electronically submitted, some are done on paper. 
Before you turn the documents in, make sure you do the following: 
  • Write your Student ID on each page. 
  • Provide us copies of the paperwork, and keep the originals for yourself. (Better yet, scan them to .pdf format, and submit to  
  • If you or your parents are self-employed and cannot provide the requested W-2, write a signed statement letting us know.
Are you ready to turn in your documents? 
  • Scan them as PDFs, and send them to
  • Turn them in to the SSC 
  • Mail them to us at: 
Wayne State University 
Office of Student Financial Aid  
The Welcome Center 
42 W. Warren Avenue 
P.O. Box 2340 
Detroit, MI 48202-0340

Satisfactory Academic Progress

Satisfactory Academic Progress Appeal forms - You may submit an appeal form if you feel you have special circumstances that warrant a review of your financial aid status.


Wayne State University issues refunds to students’ accounts once a week.  Refunds can be released in two ways:

1.    Direct deposit into an existing U.S. checking or savings account
2.    Paper check mailed to the address on file with WSU

Accounts may be viewed in Academica to determine if a refund has been issued.

Students may enroll in direct deposit by logging into Academica. Select Financial Records, Direct Deposit Student Refunds and follow the instructions. 

Paper checks are mailed to the most current mailing address in Academica, beginning on the first day of the semester. Students must keep their address current, as checks are mailed to the most current mailing address in Academica and made payable to the student.  A refund will only be generated if an active address is on file. 

Please Note: Refund checks are not available for pickup.

Timing after the refund has been posted

  • Paper check - 9-13 business days
  • ACH/direct deposit - 3 business days