Site search
Search type
Wayne State University logo

Student FAQ

General information

  What is Degree Works?

Degree Works is an online advising tool which produces an easy to read academic evaluation to help students and advisors monitor progress toward degree completion.  The web based program reorganizes your transcript categorically, easily identifying courses you have completed and what courses remain to fulfill your degree requirements at Wayne State University. 

  What are the benefits in using Degree Works?

Degree Works helps you:

  • Determine what requirements you need to fulfill in order to complete your degree
  • Determine how your transfer credit fits into your path to graduation
  • See how your coursework would apply to another major or minor by using the What-If option
  • Plan your course selection, semester by semester
  How do I access Degree Works?

You will access Degree Works through Academica.

  When should I review my degree worksheet?

The Degree Worksheet is accessible to you at any time, but should definitely be reviewed:

  • Before registration
  • After registration to ensure courses apply to requirements
  • After grades for each semester are posted
  • Any time changes are made to your academic record

Degree Works student FAQ

  Is Degree Works the same as my transcript?

No.  Degree Works is an audit of your coursework, as it fits into your degree requirements.

  Are my grades visible in Degree Works?

Yes.  Once grades are processed at the end of the semester, you will see them in Degree Works.

  Can I register for classes through Degree Works?

No.  You will continue to register for classes by going to  It is recommended that you reference your academic plan in Degree Works when selecting your classes.

  What should I do if my academic information (i.e. major/minor) is inaccurate in Degree Works?

If this information is inaccurate, you will need to change your major, as well as work with your academic advisor to update it.  The What-If feature can be used to compare different programs and is a useful tool when weighing your options.  

  What is the What-If feature?

The What-If feature allows you to hypothetically change your major, minor or concentration.  The What-If evaluation will show you what coursework is required for the new major, minor or concentration, what courses you have taken that satisfy requirements, and what courses are still left for you to take.

  What does @ and : mean in Degree Works?

The @ sign is the wild card in Degree Works, so if an audit displays SOC @, that means any course that is taken with a SOC subject code.

The : sign indicates a range, so PS 2000:6999 means any PS course between 2000 and 6999.

  How does Degree Works account for repeated coursework?

If a course has previously been passed, and is being retaken, the in-progress course will be counted in the "Credits Applied" count, and the completed course will appear in the "Insufficient" area of the audit.  The completed course will not be counted in the "Credits Applied" count, meaning the course is only counted once, despite appearing on the audit twice.

  Does the Degree Worksheet show all my courses even if I have taken them elsewhere?

As long as your transfer credit has been evaluated, your audit will show your transfer credits.  Certain courses may not be applied to your major or your degree if you have exceeded the allowable number of credits under the residency requirement.

  I have transfer credit that appears in the "Not Counted" block, why does my transfer credit not meet a requirement?

Courses in the "Not Counted" block either exceed the number of allowed repeats, exceed the amount of credits eligible for degree credit, or that are considered developmental, and therefore, will not count as hours towards graduation.  Students can use up to 64 credits from a two-year college towards a degree.

  How does Degree Works handle the "64-Credit" rule from two-year colleges?

Degree Works is built to not allow more than 64 credits to be counted towards a degree, and operates on a "best-fit" analysis.  Courses that are beyond the 64 credits will fall into a "Not Counted" block on your degree audit, and will not apply towards the 120 (or more) required for degree.

  Does Degree Works account for maximum/minimum credit thresholds?

Many colleges and schools have requirements that limit the amount of certain courses that will count towards a degree.  Courses that are beyond the maximum credit threshold will appear in the "Not Counted" block on a student's degree audit.

For example, the College of Liberal Arts and Science does not allow more than 16 credits from a professional school to count towards the 120 minimum credits to graduate, so anything beyond the 16 credits will appear in "Not Counted."

  How does Degree Works handle the Michigan Transfer Agreement (MTA)?

Students who have satisfied the requirements for the MTA are exempt from all University General Education Requirements, with the exception of Intermediate Composition (IC) and Oral Communication (OC).  The requirements for the MTA only satisfy one of these two.  Degree Works is built to check for completion of all three, in a block titled "General Education for Michigan Transfer Agreement."  It is possible that you could take the third at the community college, and transfer with all three completed.  All classes taken to satisfy the MTA will appear throughout the audit as needed, as well as in the Electives Block.

  How does Degree Works handle the MACRAO Agreement?

Students who have satisfied the requirements for the MACRAO Agreement are exempt from all University General Educations, with the exception of Mathematics Competency (MC).  Degree Works is built to check for completion of MC, in a block titled "General Education for MACRAO Agreement."  It is possible that you could take the MC requirement at the community college, and this requirement would appear as fulfilled upon transfer.  All classes taken to satisfy the MACRAO Agreement will appear throughout the audit as needed, as well as in the Electives Block.

  What should I do if I believe my information in Degree Works is inaccurate?

You should contact your advisor to review the information and, if necessary, your advisor will make adjustments or contact the appropriate person.

  If all the boxes are checked does that mean that I am graduating?

You should meet with your advisor to review your evaluation and determine if you should apply for graduation.

  Why is my audit blank when I log in?

If your audit is blank, then your program is currently under development.

Please see your academic advisor for curriculum information and graduation requirements.

  When should I review my Degree Worksheet?

You should check out your Degree Worksheet when:

  • Reviewing your progress with an academic or major advisor
  • Creating a list of questions to discuss with your advisor
  • Identifying courses that need to be completed
  • Selecting courses that meet your degree requirements
  • Determining a projected graduation date
  • Choosing a major
  • Deciding whether to add a minor