Dual enrollment

The Concurrent Admission/High School Dual Enrollment Program allows you to supplement your education by pursuing college coursework while you're still in high school.

Admission criteria

To be eligible for dual enrollment, you must:

  • Be in grades 9 through 12.
  • Have a cumulative GPA of 3.0 or higher.

As a dually enrolled student, you are expected to complete all requirements mandated by your high school for graduation.

  • Admittance in the program offers non-degree status and is valid for one semester.
  • You must reapply and complete the full application for each semester you wish to take courses under this arrangement.
  • You are limited to a maximum of eight credit hours per semester.

How to apply

Submit all application materials by the appropriate date, depending on the semester in which you plan to start classes. You are encouraged to apply as early as possible.

Fall (September-December) August 1

Winter (January-April) December 1

Spring/summer (May-August) April 1

Your application will be processed when the following documents have been received:

  • Application for the Concurrent Admission/High School Dual Enrollment Program.
  • Official high school transcripts.
  • Letter of consent from a parent or legal guardian.

When reapplying for the dual enrollment program, you are only required to submit the application and worksheet; transcripts do not need to be resubmitted.

After your application materials are reviewed, you will be notified of your status in the program. If admissible, you will be assigned a student ID number and AccessID, which allow access to the university's Web portal registration system. Browse the class schedule for available courses and registration instructions.

Paying for the program

Tuition and fee support

The Postsecondary Enrollment Options Act (PSEO) provides for payment from a school district's state aid foundation grant for enrollment of certain high school students in postsecondary courses.

  • To find out if you are eligible for tuition and fee support, please consult the State School Aid Act and/or the PSEO.
  • If you have further questions, contact the curriculum development program consultant at the Michigan Department of Education at 517-373-4213 or 517-373-2551.

It is important to discuss plans for dual enrollment, including tuition issues and college course selections, with the appropriate high school administrator. We also encourage you to contact a WSU academic advisor to discuss course selection and prerequisite requirements before registering for classes.

  • If you are eligible for tuition and fee support, your school district will be billed the appropriate amount of tuition based on the information provided on the calculation worksheet.
  • If your school district is not responsible for the entire amount of eligible charges, the remaining balance will be billed to your parent or guardian.

A parent or guardian is required to accept financial responsibility for payment if you are under 18 years old.

Frequently asked questions

  • Do I have to enroll in classes that are held on Wayne State's main campus?
    Not at all. Wayne State has several extension centers throughout Southeast Michigan. Choose the location that best suits your needs. You can register for any Wayne State class regardless of its location.
  • Am I earning college credit?
    Not necessarily. Students choose to participate in dual enrollment programs for many reasons, one of which is to gain college credit while still in high school. You can check to see if the courses you are interested in will count as college credit by speaking with a Wayne State academic advisor before you register. Students also choose to dual enroll in courses in order to complete high school graduation requirements. Check with your high school counselor to ensure that you register for the appropriate courses. If you will be attending another college or university, please check with that school to see if credit will be given.
  • Do I have to reapply at any time during the dual enrollment program?
    If you want to continue taking classes, you must complete a new dual enrollment application for every semester you wish to participate. When reapplying for the dual enrollment program, you are only required to submit the application and worksheet; transcripts do not need to be resubmitted.