Gary W. Abrams (ad4942)
- Best Doctors in America continuously since 1994
- Paul Kayser International Award in Retina Research, Schepens International Society, 2005
- Secretariat Award, Outstanding service to American Academy of Ophthalmology, 2006
- Life Fellow, American Academy of Ophthalmology, 2014
- Establishment of endowed lectureships in Dr. Abrams’ honor at Kresge Eye Institute and Medical College of Wisconsin
- Elected to Wayne State University Academy of Scholars, 2015
- Pyron Award for Excellence in Retina Research from American Society of Retina Specialists, 2016
Medical School: University of Oklahoma School of Medicine
Residency: Medical College of Wisconsin
Fellowship: Bascom Palmer Eye Institute – University of Miami
Artificial Vision, Clinical Research in Retinal Diseases
Clinical Interests: Retinal Detachment, Diabetic Retinopathy, Macular Degeneration, Macular Diseases
- Abrams GW, Edelhauser H, Aaberg T, Hamilton L: The dynamics of intravitreal sulfur hexafluoride. Invest Ophthalmol 13:863, 1974.
- Haimann MH, Abrams GW: Prevention of lens opacity during diabetic vitrectomy. Ophthalmology 91:116-121, 1984.
- Peters MA, Abrams GW, Hamilton LH, Burke JM, Schreiber TM: The non-expansile equilibrated concentration of perfluoropropane in the eye. Am J Ophthalmol 100:831-839, 1985.
- Abrams GW, Williams GA: “En bloc” excision of diabetic membranes. Am J Ophthalmol 103:238-239, 1987.
- Lewis H, Abrams GW, Williams GA: Anterior hyaloidal fibrovascular proliferation after diabetic vitrectomy. Am J Ophthalmol 104:607-613, 1987.
- Lewis H, Aaberg TM, Abrams GW: Causes of failure after initial vitreoretinal surgery for severe proliferative vitreoretinopathy. Am J Ophthalmol 111:8-14, 1991.
- Lewis H, Abrams GW, Blumenkranz MS, Campo RV: Vitrectomy for diabetic macular traction and edema associated with posterior hyaloidal traction. Ophthalmology, 99:753-759, 1992.
- Abrams GW, Azen SP, McCuen BW, Flynn H, Lai MY, Ryan SJ, and the Silicone Study Group. Vitrectomy with silicone oil or long-acting gas in eyes with severe proliferative vitreoretinopathy: Results of additional long-term follow-up. Silicone Study Report No. 11. Arch Ophthalmol 1997, 115:335-344.
- Garcia-Valenzuela E, Ito Y, Abrams GW: Risk factors for retention of subretinal perfluorocarbon liquid in vitreoretinal surgery. Retina 2004, 24:746-52
- Tewari A, Eliott D, Singh CN, Garcia-Valenzuela E, Ito Y, Abrams GW. Changes in retinal sensitivity from retained subretinal perfluorocarbon liquid. Retina 2009, Feb 29(2):248-250
- Narala R, Nissiri N, Kim C, Mehregan C, Padidam S, Abrams GW. Outcomes of repeat pars plana vitrectomy after failed surgery for proliferative vitreoretinopathy. Retina 2018 Sep;38 suppl 1:S49-S59
Return to Search