International students

You do not need to be a U.S. citizen to be admitted to WSU. Scholarships are available through the Undergraduate Admissions Office and the Graduate School that do not require citizenship or permanent resident status.

Federal student aid

To receive federal financial aid, you must be a citizen of the United States or have lawful permanent resident status.

The standard documentation for a permanent resident of the United States is the Permanent Resident Card (Form I-551, since 1997) or Resident Alien Card (Form I-551, before 1997).

You are not eligible for federal financial aid if:

  • You have only a Notice of Approval to Apply for Permanent Residence (I-717 or I-464)
  • You are in the United States on only a F1 or F2 student visa
  • You are in the United States on only a J1 or J2 exchange visitor visa

Additional resources

For immigration or cross-cultural adjustment issues, contact the WSU Office of International Students and Scholars (OISS).

Resident tuition application

You may apply for resident status if you are in the United States for any reasons other than temporary educational purposes. 

Visit the WSU Records and Registration website for more information.