Sorin Draghici (ad3147)
Professor, Computer Science
Ph.D 1995, St. Andrews University
Computational biology, systems biology, data integration, disease subtype discovery, drug repurposing
Professor of Computer Sciences College of Engineering, and Professor of Obstetrics and Gynecology (Secondary)
Professor of Computer Sciences College of Engineering and Obstetrics and Gynecology
- Outstanding Research Faculty Award, College of Engineering, 2018 (out of more than 130
- Runer-up for sub-challenges 1a,1b, and 2, AstraZeneca-Sanger Drug Combination DREAM
Challenge 2016, https://www.synapse.org/#!Synapse:syn4231880/wiki/235664
- Outstanding Faculty Award, College of Engineering, 2016
- On Jan 11, 2015, Bollig-Fischer et. al 2014 was selected as a Key Scientific Article by Global
Medical Discovery, https://tinyurl.com/ybw4ufed
- Outstanding Faculty Award, College of Engineering, 2012
- Appointed as the Robert J. Sokol, MD, Endowed Chair in Systems Biology, July 2011
- Joint appointment as Professor in the Department of Clinical and Translational Science, July
- Joint appointment as Professor in the Department of Obstetrics and Gynecology, July 2011
- ISI/Thompson Scientific Fast Breaking Paper Award in Computer Science, Oct 2006 - According
to ISI Thompson Scientific, these papers comprise the top 1% of (journal) papers in
each eld and each year (http://www.esi-topics.com/fbp/fbp-october2006.html)
- Elevated at the level of Senior Member in IEEE, 2005 (fewer than 1% of IEEE members are
- Pass et. al, 2004 was featured on the cover of the February 2004 issue of Clinical Cancer
- Draghici et. al, 1997 was featured on the cover of the Proc. of Articial Neural Networks in
Engineering 1997, published as a book by ASME Press, ISBN 0-7918-0064-4
- Wayne State University College of Science Teaching Award, 2000
- British Council Overseas Research Award, 1991
- University of St. Andrews Research Award, 1990
Graduate: Politehnica University, Bucharest, Romania, B.Sc., 1989
Postgraduate: Politehnica University, Bucharest, Romania, M.Sc., 1989
St. Andrews University, United Kingdom, Ph.D., 1995
Advisor/Mentor. Department of Computer Science PhD Program.
CSC 7300 - Designer/Instructor. Department of Computer Science, Bioinformatics I.
CSC 7410 - Designer/Instructor. Department of Computer Science, Bioinformatics II.
CSC 785 - Designer/Instructor. Department of Computer Science, Introduction to Neural Networks.
CSC 105 - ReDesigner/Instructor. Department of Computer Science, Introduction to C and Unix.
CSC 442 - Designer/Instructor. Department of Computer Science, Operating Systems.
CSC 7991 - Designer/Instructor. Department of Computer Science, Data Analysis of Microarray Data.
Our research is focused on systems biology applied to human reproduction and is currently supported by one NSF and two NIH grants totaling over 4 million. We use artificial intelligence, machine learning and data mining techniques, applied to high-throughput biological data in order to gain novel insights into complex disease mechanisms.