Bruce A. Berkowitz (aa1924)
Our goal is to prevent vision loss and blindness due to diabetic retinopathy and neurodegenerative disease. We develop and apply functional MRI methods to detect the effectiveness of a treatment earlier in the course of disease than is currently possible.
Diabetic retinopathy, retinopathy of prematurity, age-related macular degeneration and retinitis pigmentosa
Human, rats and mice.
Manganese-Enhanced MRI (MEMRI).
Tim Kern (Case Western Reserve University), Paul Tofts (Brighton and Sussex Medical School, England)
- Participates in teaching embryology and histology to MS1 students
- Co-course Director and teacher of Biology of the Eye (undergraduate)
- Participates in Biomedical Engineering course
- Directed study mentor for undergraduate and medical students
- Ph.D. mentor for graduate students
- National Seminar speaker
Research Educator, Full time, PhD, Histology and Cell Biology, Embryology
- Scholars in Vision Science, University of Pittsburgh School of Medicine, 2009
- Inaugural Class Of ARVO Fellows; Silver level, 2009.
- Awarded the 2008/9 NeuroImage Editors' choice award (Anatomy and Physiology section) for best paper of the year
- Invited speaker, Vanderbilt Eye Institute symposium " Biomarkers and Eye Disease”, 2010.
- Member of steering committee, Translational Neuroscience Program, 2011 – 2013.
- Invited participate, Lasker/IRRF Initiative on Diabetic Retinopathy, 2012
- Member of the Microscopy, Imaging and Cytometry Resources Advisory Committee, Karmanos Cancer Institute, 2012 – present
- Invited to be on Editorial Board of Investigational Ophthalmology and Visual Science, 2012 – present.
- National Medical Research Council international expert panel, Ministry of Health, Singapore, 2012 – 2014.
- Invited speaker, Association for Research in Otolaryngology 36th Annual MidWinter Meeting, 2013
- Invited tutorial speaker for the 3rd International Summer School on Biomedical Image Analysis, 22-27 July 2013 in Shenyang, China.
- Invited speaker, "Imaging and Neuroscience of TBI", WSU BME, 2013
- ARVO Fellow; Gold level, 2013.
- Invited symposium speaker, 25th anniversary of Laboratory of Cardiac Energetics, NIH, 2014
Continuously funded since 1992. More than 120 publications in peer reviewed journals
Return to Search