Warrior Safe is Warrior Strong

Updated March 2024


COVID-19 vaccines are no longer required for faculty, staff and students, except for those living in university housing and students and faculty involved in clinical programs. Information on documentation for students living in university housing is available on our housing website. Those involved in clinical programs should contact their program director for vaccine requirements and documentation processes.

Although COVID-19 vaccines are not required, the Campus Health Committee strongly recommends remaining up to date on vaccines and boosters. Vaccines and tests are available at the Campus Health Center (CHC); the CHC will bill insurance companies and work with uninsured and under-insured students to make sure they are able to receive appropriate care without financial burden. Students are also eligible for one free visit to the CHC each semester.

Use of the Campus Daily Screener has also been discontinued, as has mandatory COVID-19 testing for those with vaccine waivers.

Wayne State University's flu vaccine requirement will remain in effect for all students, faculty and staff for the fall 2023 semester; this season's flu shots are available at the Campus Health Center or you can receive one at a location convenient to you. You must submit your proof of immunization for this season’s flu vaccine (received after Aug. 15) or a declination form by Nov. 15. 


Face masks are optional in most campus locations. Those who wish to continue wearing masks while on campus are encouraged to do so. Please remember that all students, faculty and staff have the right to ask individuals to wear masks when in their private office, apartment or meeting space. Please keep the safety and comfort of your fellow Warriors in mind and be willing to wear a mask if requested. 

Stay home if you feel ill

If you have symptoms or have been exposed to COVID-19, stay home and, if possible, take a COVID-19 test. If you test positive, please isolate according to CDC requirements. The Campus Health Center will arrange testing for those living on campus who experience symptoms of COVID-19.

If you have symptoms:

  1. Begin isolation from others. You should also isolate if you are sick and suspect that you have COVID-19 but do not yet have test results.
  2. Get tested immediately.
  3. If you test negative, you may end your isolation.
  4. If you test positive, stay home for at least five days and isolate from others in your home.
  5. If your symptoms are improving, you may end isolation after day five if you are fever free for 24 hours (without the use of fever-reducing medication).
  6. If your symptoms are not improving, continue to isolate until:
    1. You are fever free for 24 hours (without the use of fever-reducing medication).
    2. Your symptoms are improving.
  7. Always follow the advice of your health care provider. 

If you have a known exposure (defined as more than 15 minutes of contact in a 24-hour period within six feet of a person confirmed to have COVID):

  1. Begin to wear a mask immediately and for 10 full days after your last exposure.
  2. Monitor yourself for symptoms.
  3. Get tested at least five full days after your last exposure. If you test positive, begin isolation. If you test negative, continue to wear a mask until day 10. 

Faculty and staff resources

Information regarding hybrid schedules and flexible work arrangements are available on the HR website. Please speak to your supervisor if you have any questions or to address any health or safety concerns.

We will continue to monitor state and regional data, as well as new guidance from the CDC and information concerning new variants or other risks and may amend these requirements as necessary. For additional questions, contact the Campus Health Committee at healthcommittee@wayne.edu.