Wayne State is a nationally recognized urban center of excellence in research. We are proud to be one of only 10 U.S. public universities in major cities holding the Carnegie Foundation for the Advancement of Teaching's designation as an institution with "very high research activity," as well as the foundation's most comprehensive classification for community engagement. WSU is among the nation's top public universities for total research expenditures ($245.8 million) according to the National Science Foundation.
Research, scholarship and creative activity are the foundation of our achievements, offering students a university experience that prepares them for leadership roles as scientists, health professionals, artists, educators, entrepreneurs and more. Through groundbreaking research and hands-on education, Wayne State faculty members transform the lives of our students and our community.
- New study out of WSU further supports use of progesterone to fight preterm birth
- Wayne State professor joins Nobel winners in receiving White Lifetime Science Award
- Wayne State researcher featured in National Geographic for groundbreaking work on mapping the brain in utero
- Wayne State receives $1.9 million NIH grant to develop novel approach to treat bacterial endophthalmitis
- Wayne State receives Susan G. Komen grant to develop new treatment approach for inflammatory breast cancer
- MTRAC awards spark biomedical innovation at Wayne State University