Wayne State is a nationally recognized urban center of excellence in research. We are proud to be one of only 10 U.S. public universities in major cities holding the Carnegie Foundation for the Advancement of Teaching's designation as an institution with "very high research activity," as well as the foundation's most comprehensive classification for community engagement. WSU is among the nation's top public universities for total research expenditures ($245.8 million) according to the National Science Foundation.
Research, scholarship and creative activity are the foundation of our achievements, offering students a university experience that prepares them for leadership roles as scientists, health professionals, artists, educators, entrepreneurs and more. Through groundbreaking research and hands-on education, Wayne State faculty members transform the lives of our students and our community.
- FY18 Program Announcements from the office of Congressionally-Directed Medical Research Programs for DoD BMFRP, GWIRP, LCRP, MSRP, PRCRP and PRMRP
- Wayne State researchers working with U.S. Army to optimize vehicle engine performance
- Wayne State professor earns NSF CAREER award to improve wireless wearable biosensors
- Wayne State Political Science professor receives NSF funding to explore constraints on policy learning after disasters
- Wayne State receives $1 million NSF grant to support commuter students in engineering
- English professor receives NEH Summer Stipend research grant