Wayne State is a nationally recognized urban center of excellence in research. We are proud to be one of only 10 U.S. public universities in major cities holding the Carnegie Foundation for the Advancement of Teaching's designation as an institution with "very high research activity," as well as the foundation's most comprehensive classification for community engagement. WSU is among the nation's top public universities for total research expenditures ($245.8 million) according to the National Science Foundation.
Research, scholarship and creative activity are the foundation of our achievements, offering students a university experience that prepares them for leadership roles as scientists, health professionals, artists, educators, entrepreneurs and more. Through groundbreaking research and hands-on education, Wayne State faculty members transform the lives of our students and our community.
- March 2018 Development Grant Opportunities
- Important news from NSF: Changes to the way the research community registers for NSF accounts and maintains account and user profile information
- Data Explosion opens Wayne State’s presidential symposia series
- Wayne State University researchers do brain imaging scans to show what happens when ‘The Iceman’ faces unusually cold temperatures
- Novel study is first to demonstrate brain mechanisms that give “The Iceman” unusual resistance to cold
- Wayne State engineering professor earns NSF CAREER award for wireless wearable biosensors