Wayne State is a nationally recognized urban center of excellence in research and one of only 10 U.S. public universities in major cities holding the Carnegie Foundation for the Advancement of Teaching's designation as an institution with "very high research activity," as well as the foundation's most comprehensive classification for community engagement. WSU is among the nation's top public universities for total research expenditures ($245.8 million) according to the National Science Foundation.
Research, scholarship and creative activity are the foundation of our achievements, offering students a university experience that prepares them for leadership roles as scientists, health professionals, artists, educators, entrepreneurs and more. Through groundbreaking research and hands-on education, Wayne State faculty members transform the lives of our students and the citizens of our community.
- WSU Statement
- URC Tops $2.1B in R&D, 53% Increase Since Founding
- Wayne State University research team develops new diagnostic tool to identify tinnitus in animals
- Research supports role of Supernovas in measuring pace at which the universe expands
- Wayne State’s zebrafish might hold key to fighting leukemia
- Wayne State University leads groundbreaking research on preterm birth