Site search
Search type
Wayne State University logo

Reverse transfer program

What is reverse transfer?

Reverse transfer is a process by which transfer students enrolled at a four-year institution transfer credits back to a community college they had transferred from for the purpose of attaining an associate degree from the community college.  

Why an associate degree?

An associate degree is an important milestone in your education as well as a valuable credential to have on your résumé. Employers recognize this degree as evidence of your commitment to expanding your knowledge and achieving your educational goals. The associate degree is the nation's fastest growing academic credential, and it can open the door to better job opportunities even while you are still working toward your bachelor's degree.

How does reverse transfer work?

Wayne State has signed formal transfer agreements with the following community colleges:

  • Delta College
  • Henry Ford College
  • Kalamazoo Valley Community College
  • Macomb Community College
  • Northwestern Michigan College
  • Oakland Community College
  • St. Clair County Community College
  • Schoolcraft College
  • Washtenaw Community College
  • Wayne County Community College District

Through our agreements with these participating community colleges, we will periodically evaluate your record. If you have met certain requirements, we will ask for your permission to send your WSU transcript to your community college, specifically for reverse transfer purposes. Otherwise, you can submit a completed reverse transfer transcript request form to us.

Once your community college reviews your transcript and confirms that you have earned your associate degree, you can have an updated community college transcript sent to WSU to this address:

Wayne State University
P.O. Box 02759
Detroit, MI 48202-0759

What if I have attended a community college that does not have an agreement with WSU?

We are currently working with other community colleges to formalize agreements. While a formal agreement is in progress, you can still take the reverse transfer option by periodically requesting Wayne State to send your transcript back to your community college. When you have requested your WSU transcript to be sent, notify the office responsible for evaluating credits at your community college (typically the admissions or the Registrar's Office) that you are sending your transcript back to have it evaluated for reverse transfer.

Am I guaranteed a degree from community college? 

No. The courses you take at WSU will be evaluated by your community college and it is at their discretion whether or not you have fulfilled the degree requirements for your associates degree. 

Can I participate in my community college's commencement ceremony?

Most likely, yes. However, you will need to contact the community college for information on how to participate. Be sure to let them know that you are taking advantage of reverse transfer. 

Will I have to apply for graduation at my community college?

Most community colleges require this.