One main area of focus for transfer students is General Education Requirements. These are classes in addition to courses within your major that are required to ensure fundamental skills and a well-rounded education. The Michigan Association of Collegiate Registrars & Admissions Officers (MACRAO) Transfer Agreement was designed to facilitate the transfer of general education requirements from one institution to another.
Note: The MACRAO agreement has been revised to the Michigan Transfer Agreement (MTA) and new students are encouraged to follow MTA. However, students who started at a community college before the fall of 2014 will have until the end of August 2019 to have their transcripts evaluated by a community college for the MACRAO agreement.
MACRAO Transfer Agreement Requirements
Students must complete at least 30 credits of the following general education requirement distributions with a minimum of 2.0 in each course:
- English Composition (6 credit hours)
- Science and Math (8 credit hours) - Courses must be taken from a minimum of two subject areas and at least one science course must include a laboratory.
- Social Science (8 credit hours) - Courses must be taken from a minimum of two subject areas.
- Humanities (8 credit hours) - Courses must be taken from a minimum of two subject areas.
Students who earn one of the following Michigan associate's degrees will fulfill the MACRAO Transfer Agreement requirements at WSU:
- Associate of Arts
- Associate of Science
- Associate of Baccalaureate Studies
- Associate of Liberal Arts
All college, program, major and minor requirements must also be completed (at least 120 credits) for students who are MACRAO satisfied.