International students

Undergraduate transfer students

You are considered a transfer student if you have attended a college or university. To be admitted to a general degree program, you must:

Use the course equivalency tool to find out which credits will transfer to WSU.

If you are transferring with less than one year of college coursework, you will also need to submit your high school transcript.

If you plan to apply to a professional program such as nursingsocial work, or pharmacy and health sciences, contact these programs individually for additional requirements.

How to apply

  • Complete the university application for undergraduate students and submit the $25 application fee.
  • Submit copies of all transcripts to:

    Office of Undergraduate Admissions
    Wayne State University
    P.O. Box 02759
    Detroit, MI 48202
  • Have all official transcripts translated into English by an accredited transcript evaluation agency.
    • Make sure we also receive original official transcripts in your native language.
    • If you have attended an institution outside of the United States, you are encouraged to submit a course-by-course academic evaluation document (ECE or WES). This will aid in the transfer credit evaluation. 
  • Submit your signed statement of financial support and supporting bank statement.
  • Provide proof of citizenship (e.g., passport or signed photograph).
  • Include a photocopy of your current visa documents if you hold non-immigrant status.

Additional requirements

  • English translations of documents must bear the seal/stamp of the issuing institution.
  • Your statement of financial support cannot be older than six months.
  • Bank supporting documentation must show the dollar amount equivalent to the financial requirements for undergraduate international students.
  • English proficiency tests cannot be more than two years old.
  • Checks drawn on foreign banks should carry the notation "Payable in U.S. funds, plus service charges."


Submit all application materials by the appropriate date, depending on the semester in which you plan to start classes:

Fall (Sept.Dec.)  Aug. 1
Winter (Jan.April)  Dec. 1
Spring/summer (MayAug.)  April 1


If you have questions about your I-20 or other immigration documents, please contact the Office of International Students and Scholars at

If you have general questions about transferring to Wayne State or questions about your application status, please contact the Office of International Programs (OIP) at

Admitted, now what? Follow the checklist to make sure you're prepared for your first day of classes.