• How do I apply to Wayne State as a transfer student?

    You will need to submit a transfer application as well as submit your official transcripts to WSU admissions directly from your previous institutions. 

    Please have your official transcripts sent electronically to admissions@wayne.edu. Electronic transcripts are the recommended method of sharing your transcripts with WSU.  If you need to send them via postal service, please have them sent to the following address:

    Wayne State University
    Transfer Credit Evaluation
    P.O. Box 02759
    Detroit, MI 48202-0759 

    Once you have submitted all of the necessary application materials, please allow for 2-4 weeks to hear an admissions decision.

  • What is the admissions requirement for transfer students?

    The criteria for transferring to Wayne State are a minimum cumulative GPA of 2.5 from all previous institutions and at least 24 transferable credits.  If an associate degree has been completed, a minimum cumulative GPA of 2.0 will be accepted.

  • Are there any scholarships available for transfer students?

    Wayne State offers various merit scholarships to qualified incoming transfer students who are currently enrolled at a community college or were enrolled at a community college within one of the two semesters and have not yet completed a bachelor's degree. If you want to be considered for a merit scholarship, be sure to complete your admission application by the appropriate deadline, depending on the semester in which you plan to start classes. To learn more, visit the Transfer Merit Scholarship webpage.

  • How do I accept my offer of admission and scholarships?

    Log in to your undergraduate application portal with you AccessID and password to let us know you are ready to join the Wayne State family.

  • When and how will I receive my official transfer credit evaluation?

    Transfer credit evaluations are usually completed within 10 days of receiving your admission letter. An out-of-state evaluation may require additional time.

    The Office of Transfer Credit Evaluation will send notification to your Wayne State University email account following the completion of your evaluation. To view it online:

    1. Login to Academica using your AccessID and password

    2. Click on the "Student Resources" link on the left side of the screen

    3. Click on the link for "Degree Works" in the menu under Student Records

      • Degree Works will launch in a separate tab

    4. While in Degree Works, you can review how your courses transfer and examine how they apply toward your degree

      • Courses that do not transfer will not appear in Degree Works

  • How can I review my transfer credit evaluation?

    Log in to Academica using your AccessID and password. Under Student Resources, click on Degree Works. Once you are logged into Degree Works, view your Degree Worksheet, which shows all of your degree requirements. Any transferable credit has been applied to this worksheet.


  • Do I receive any transfer credit for my military coursework or DD214?

    Yes, you can receive four general elective credits for your DD214 and a maximum of 12 general elective credits for American Council on Education (ACE) approved military coursework.

  • What is the lowest grade that will transfer to Wayne State?

    Grades of lower than a "C" (2.0) will not be transferred into Wayne State University. Courses that transfer in as P (Pass) or CR (Credit) will be accepted. Courses that transfer in as P or CR will not fulfill any General Education Group Requirements.

  • What type of academic advising is available to me?

    It is important to connect with your academic advisor as soon as you are admitted. Many transfer students will need to take upper division courses that fill quickly once registration begins. Find your academic advisor or schedule an appointment online as soon as possible.

  • How do I view my financial aid award package?

    You can check your financial aid requirements in Academica. Under Resources, select Student Resources, then Financial Aid. Click "My Award Information" and select the 2020-2021 Award Year. Review and accept the financial aid "Terms and Conditions," to accept your awards under the "Accept Award Offer" tab.

  • How do I determine my tuition costs?

    After you register for classes, you can check your account charges in Academica. Under Resources, select Student Resources, then Financial Records. Click "eBill Statement and Payment History" to see your charges.

    Determining how much it costs to attend Wayne State University varies by student. You are responsible for your direct costs – tuition and housing, if you choose to live on campus these charges will be on your eBill. Tuition is charged based on your college and level. You can estimate the cost of tuition using the tuition calculator. If you do decide to live in housing, you can visit the housing website to estimate the cost of your room and meal plan.

  • How can I purchase my books?

    You have the option to purchase or rent books from the WSU Bookstore

    A book voucher is an advance on your financial aid refund that allows you to purchase or rent books and purchase supplies at the WSU Bookstore. The amount of the book voucher will be deducted from your financial aid refund. Eligible students will be notified by email sent to your WSU email address. You must authorize your book voucher each semester, by the posted deadline, before you can use it at the bookstore. Authorize online in Academica.