Entering final grades
NOTE: An issue has been identified with sorting the roster by name. In some cases, the names are sorting by a prior name stored on the system. The issue has been reported to the vendor.
Instructions for entering final grades
- Log in to Academica and click on the "Faculty Grade Entry" option in the Faculty Instructional Resources menu.
- From the My Courses list, click on the course you would like to grade.
- This will bring up your class list at the bottom of the page. You may select the number of students to view per page, up to 100 students at a time. For larger courses, see below for information on Exporting and Importing a Grade Roster.
- For each student, use the drop-down menu to select the appropriate grade.
- Federal regulations require that students who receive financial aid must earn their aid by completing the semester. In order for Wayne State to remain in compliance with federal regulations, a last date of attendance must be entered for any student receiving a failing grade (F, N, U, UNC) or an Incomplete. If you assign any of these grades and do not list a last date of attendance, none of the grades will be submitted.
- Students that have never attended classes should be assigned the mark "NA" (never attended). This mark will be converted to the appropriate failing grade for your course. Do not enter a last date of attendance in this case.
- What is the date of last attendance? The latest date that the student physically attended class; submitted an academic assignment; took an exam, interactive tutorial, or computer-aided instruction; attended a study group that you assigned; participated in an online discussion about academic matters; or initiated contact with you to ask a question about the academic subject studied in the course
- If attendance cannot be documented through actual attendance records or an academically related event, you must report that the student never attended.
- Once you have graded all the students select the "Save" button.
- To select another course, click on the course from the My Courses list.
Exporting and Importing a Grade Roster
- Click on course from My Courses list to be graded.
- Click on the Tools menu at the top right of the page.
- Select the Export Grade Template.
- Click Export.
- Save the Excel file.
- Open the Excel file, enter in grades (and last date of attendance, where appropriate) and save file with updated grades
- Go back to the Tools menu and click Import.
- Upload the Excel file (click Browse to find your file and then Upload. Click Continue.).
- In preview step, click Continue.
- Make sure that the columns from the import spreadsheet are mapped correctly. Make sure that the following columns have green checkmarks: Term Code, CRN, Student ID (either AccessID or Banner ID with leading zeros), Final Grade and Last Attend Date.
- To import grades, click Continue on the validate step
- Click Finish
- Check that the grading status indicator bar in My Courses is green to ensure grades were imported.