Paul Evan Kilgore M.P.H., M.D. (dr4775)
Title: Associate Professor
Unit: Pharmacy Practice
Department: Pharmacy & Health Science
259 Mack Ave., Suite 2118
Dept. of Pharmacy Practice
Eugene Applebaum College of Pharmacy and Health Sciences
Office Location: EACPHS, Room 2118
Title: Associate Professor & Director of Research
Department: Pharmacy Practice
Degrees and Certifications:
- 1991 - Doctor of Medicine, Wayne State University, School of Medicine, Detroit, MI
- 1987 - Masters of Public Health in Epidemiology, University of Michigan School of Public Health, Ann Arbor, MI
- 1985 - Bachelor of Science in Pyschobiology, University of Michigan, College of Literature, Science and the Arts, Ann Arbor, MI
- 2012 - National Board of Public Health Examiners
- 1995 - American Board of Internal Medicine
Positions and Employment:
- 2011-present - Associate Professor, Department of Pharmacy Practice, Eugene Applebaum College of Pharmacy and Health Sciences, Wayne State University, Detroit, MI
- 2006-2011 - Senior Scientist, Translational Research Division, International Vaccine Institute, Seoul, South Korea
- 1999-2005 - Research Scientist, Translational Research Division, International Vaccine Institute, Seoul, South Korea
- 1997-1999 - Staff Physician, Primary Care Section, Department of Internal Medicine, Department of Veterans Affairs Medical Center, Atlanta, GA
- 1996-1999, Medical Epidemiologist, Public Health Service, Commissioned Corps. Infant Immunization Activity, Child Vaccine Preventable Diseases Branch, National Immunization Program, Centers for Disease Control and Prevention, Atlanta, GA.
Awards and Honors:
- 2018 - Fellowship, American College of Physicians
- 2017 - Excellence in Research Award, Eugene Applebaum College of Pharmacy and Health Sciences
- 2009 - Long-term Service Award, International Vaccine Institute, Seoul, Korea
- International Society for Vaccines
- American Telemedicine Association
- American Association of Colleges of Pharmacy
- American College of Epidemiology
- American College of Clinical Pharmacy
- American College of Physicians
- American Public Health Association
- American Society of Microbiology
- Infectious Disease Society of America
- Society of Epidemiologic Research
- Society for Clinical Trials
- Society for General Internal Medicine
Areas of Expertise:
- Vaccine Research
- Epidemiologic Methods
- Global Health Research
- Health Disparities Associated with Infectious Diseases and Vaccine-Preventable Diseases
- Outcomes Research
- Translational Medicine and Research
- Infectious Disease Epidemiology
- Emerging Infectious Diseases
Primary Research Interest:
- The overarching vision of our research program is the reduction of disease burden associated with bacterial and viral infections among infants, children and adults. Our research program focuses on the study of infections using innovative, multi-disciplinary tools that enable more rapid disease diagnosis as well as more accurate ascertainment of the disease burden due to specific infectious pathogens. Our research integrates the application of tools across a wide range of disciplines in order to accurately describe disease burden by age, race/ethnicity, geography and environment. We conduct our research in close cooperation with community partners, non-governmental stakeholders, faith-based organizations, public health experts, and other technical experts with the goal of supporting the development of health programs and policies that improve individual patient outcomes and safety as well as reduce health disparities in the general population. Based on empiric research findings, we conduct rigorously-designed, evidence-based evaluation of interventions to achieve sustainable health gains particularly among underserved populations.
- Kilgore PE. Invasive Hib infections. In Essentials in Vaccinology (online textbook). Andre F, Editor. Singapore: Global Health Press, PTE, Ltd. 2012.
- Paul E. Kilgore and Tom Coenye. Chapter 47: Bordetella and Related Genera in Manual of Clinical Microbiology, 12th Edition. Editors: Karen C. Carroll, Michael A. Pfaller, Marie Louise Landry, Alexander J. McAdam, Robin Patel, Sandra S. Richter, David W. Warnock. American Society of Microbiology, Washington, D.C. 2019.
- E. Anthony S. Nelson, Marc-Alain Widdowson, Paul E. Kilgore, Duncan Steele and Umesh D. Parashar, Editors. Rotavirus in Asia: Updates on Disease Burden, Genotypes and Vaccine Introduction. Vaccine, volume 27, Supplement 5 (2009).
- Takano C, Seki M, Kim DW, Gardner H, McLaughlin RE, Kilgore PE, Kumasaka K, Hayakawa S. Development of a Novel Loop-Mediated Isothermal Amplification Method to Detect Guiana Extended-Spectrum (GES) β-Lactamase Genes in Pseudomonas aeruginosa. Front Microbiol. 2019 Feb 4;10:25. doi: 10.3389/fmicb.2019.00025. eCollection 2019.
- GBD 2017 Population and Fertility Collaborators Population and fertility by age and sex for 195 countries and territories, 1950-2017: a systematic analysis for the Global Burden of Disease Study 2017. Lancet. 2018 Nov 10;392(10159):1995-2051. doi: 10.1016/S0140-6736(18)32278-5. Epub 2018 Nov 8.
- Henig O, Pogue JM, Cha R, Kilgore PE, Hayat U, Ja'ara M, Ali RM, Mahboob S, Pansare R, Deeds K, Joarder B, Kandala H, Dhar S, Kaye KS. Epidemiology of Diabetic Foot Infection in the Metro-Detroit Area With a Focus on Independent Predictors for Pathogens Resistant to Recommended Empiric Antimicrobial Therapy. Open Forum Infect Dis. 2018 Sep 27;5(11):ofy245. doi: 10.1093/ofid/ofy245. eCollection 2018 Nov.
- Seki M, Kilgore PE, Kim EJ, Ohnishi M, Hayakawa S, Kim DW. Loop-Mediated Isothermal Amplification Methods for Diagnosis of Bacterial Meningitis. Front Pediatr. 2018 Mar 12;6:57.
- Byrne BG, McColm S, McElmurry SP, Kilgore PE, Sobeck J, Sadler R, Love NG, Swanson MS. Prevalence of Infection-Competent Serogroup 6 Legionella pneumophila within Premise Plumbing in Southeast Michigan. MBio. 2018 Feb 6;9(1). pii: e00016-18.
- Zahran S, McElmurry SP, Kilgore PE, Mushinski D, Press J, Love NG, Sadler RC, Swanson MS. Assessment of the Legionnaires' disease outbreak in Flint, Michigan. Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A. 2018 Feb 20;115(8):E1730-E1739.
- Fava JP, Colleran J, Bignasci F, Cha R, Kilgore PE Adolescent human papillomavirus vaccination in the United States: Opportunities for integrating pharmacies into the immunization neighborhood. Hum Vaccin Immunother. 2017 Aug 3;13(8):1844-1855.
- Takano C, Seki M, Kim DW, Kilgore PE, Fuwa K, Takahashi K, Inazaki T, Hayakawa S. Molecular serotype-specific identification of non-type b Haemophilus influenzae by loop-mediated isothermal amplification. Frontiers in Microbiology. 2017;8:1877.
- Sutcliffe K, Kilgore PE, DeHoff K, Evans R, Kaye KS, Malosh RE, Sherwin R, Martin ET. Survey of vaccination knowledge and acceptance among adults admitted to an urban emergency department. Vaccine. 2017 Feb 22;35(8):1148-1151.
- Kaljee LM, Kilgore P, Prentiss T, Lamerato L, Moreno D, Arshad S, Zervos M. "You need to be an advocate for yourself": Factors associated with decision-making regarding influenza and pneumococcal vaccine use among US older adults from within a large metropolitan health system. Hum Vaccin Immunother. 2017 Jan 2; 13(1):206-212.
- Ishifuji T, Sando E, Kaneko N, Suzuki M, Kilgore PE, Ariyoshi K, Morimoto K, Hosokawa N, Yaegashi M, Aoshima M; Adult Pneumonia Study Group - Japan (APSG-J). Recurrent pneumonia among Japanese adults: disease burden and risk factors. BMC Pulm Med. 2017 Jan 11;17(1):12.
- Kelling SE, Pattin A, Salim A, Kilgore P, Erickson SR. Cross-Sectional Survey of Perceived Barriers Among Community Pharmacists Who Do Not Immunize, in Wayne County, Michigan. Infect Dis Ther. 2016 Dec;5(4):525-533. Epub 2016 Sep 15.
- Kilgore PE, Salim AM, Zervos MJ, and Schmitt HJ. Pertussis: microbiology, disease, treatment, and prevention. Clin Microbiol Rev. 2016; 29(3): 449-86.
- Pattin A, Rowe Z, Kilgore PE, Farhat N and Kaurala S. Engagement in a diverse urban community to describe community residents’ perceptions of pharmacists as immunizers. Inov Pharm. 2016; 7(2): 5.
- Liang Y, Salim AM, Wu W, Kilgore PE. Chao Yuanfang: imperial physician of the Sui Dynasty and an early pertussis observer? Open Forum Infect Dis. 2016; 3(1): ofw017.
- Lee D, Kim EJ, Kilgore PE, Takahashi H, Ohnishi M, Tomono J, Miyamoto S, Omagari D, Kim DW, and Seki M. A novel loop-mediated isothermal amplification assay for serogroup identification of Neisseria meningitidis in cerebrospinal fluid. Front Microbiol. 2016; 6: 1548.
- Salim AM, Liang Y, and Kilgore PE. Protecting newborns against pertussis: treatment and prevention strategies. Paediatr Drugs. 2015; 17(6): 425-41.
- Cao J, Xu M, Shi W, Yu Z, Salim A, and Kilgore P. MyPalmVein: A palm vein-based low-cost mobile identification system for wide age range. Proceedings of IEEE HealthCom 2015: the 17th International Conference on E-health Networking, Application & Services; 2015 Oct 14-17, Boston, MA. p. 292-297.
- Martínez MJ, Salim AM, Hurtado JC, and Kilgore PE. Ebola virus infection: overview and update on prevention and treatment. Infect Dis Ther. 2015; 4(4): 365-90.
- Carreno JJ, Kenney RM, Bloome M, McDonnell J, Rodriguez J, Weinmann A, Kilgore PE, and Davis SL. Evaluation of pharmacy generalists performing antimicrobial stewardship. Am J Health Syst Pharm. 2015; 72(15): 1298-1303.
- Lee D, Kim EJ, Kilgore PE, Kim SA, Takahashi H, Ohnishi M, Anh DD, Dong BQ, Kim JS, Tomono J, Miyamoto S, Notomi T, Kim DW, and Seki M. Clinical evaluation of loop-mediated isothermal amplification (LAMP) assay for rapid detection of Neisseria meningitidis in cerebrospinal fluid. PLoS One 2015; 10(4): e0122922.
- Nisarga R, Premalatha R, Shivananda, Ravikumar KL, Shivappa U, Gopi A, Chikkadasarahalli SB, Batuwanthudawe R, Kilgore PE, Kim SA, Balter I, Jouve S, Ye J, and Moscariello M. Hospital-based surveillance of invasive pneumococcal disease and pneumonia in South Bangalore, India. Indian Pediatrics. 2015; 52 (3): 205-11.
- Marks F, Nyambat B, Xu XY, von Kalckreuth V, Kilgore PE, Seo HJ, Du Y, Park SE, Im J, Konings F, Meyer CG, Wierzba TF, and Clemens JD. Vaccine introduction in the Democratic People’s Republic of Korea. Vaccine. 2015; 33(20): 2297-300.
- Kilgore PE, Grabenstein JD, Salim AM, and Rybak M. The treatment of Ebola virus disease. Pharmacotherapy. 2015; 35 (1): 43-53.
- Yoshida LM, Suzuki M, Thiem VD, Smith WP, Tsuzuki A, Huong VT, Takahashi K, Miyakawa M, Anh NT, Watanabe K, Ai NT, Tho le H, Kilgore P, Yoshino H, Toizumi M, Yasunami M, Moriuchi H, Anh DD, and Ariyoshi K. Population based cohort study for pediatric infectious diseases research in Vietnam. Trop Med Health. 2014; 42(2 Suppl): 47-58.
- Lim JK, Kilgore PE, Aiello AE, Foxman B, Letson GW, Jang GY, Chung E, Song YH, and Kim YK. Impact of time-to-treatment of oseltamivir on influenza hospitalization costs among Korean children. Pediatrics International 2015; 57(3): 393-400.
- Kim SA, Capeding MR, and Kilgore PE. Factors influencing healthcare utilization among children with pneumonia in Muntinlupa City, the Philippines. Southeast Asian J Trop Med Public Health. 2014; 45(3): 727-35.
- Lim JK, Kim TH, Kilgore PE, Aiello AE, Choi BM, Lee KC, Yoo KH, Song YH, and Kim YK. The association between influenza treatment and hospitalization-associated outcomes among Korean children with laboratory-confirmed influenza. J Korean Med Sci. 2014; 29(4): 485-93.
- Li Y, Wang SM, Zhen SS, Chen Y, Deng W, Kilgore PE, and Wang XY. Diversity of rotavirus strains causing diarrhe in <5 years old Chinese children: a systematic review. PLoS One. 2014; 9(1): e84699.
- Mathew MA, Paulose A, Chitralekha S, Nair MK, Kang G, and Kilgore P. Prevalence of rotavirus diarrhea among hospitalized children less than 5 years in Kerala, South India. Indian Pediatr. 2014; 51(1): 27-31.
- Takahashi K, Suzuki M, Minh le N, Anh NH, Huong LT, Son TV, Long PT, Ai NT, Tho le H, Morimoto K, Kilgore PE, Anh DD, Ariyoshi K, and Yoshida LM. The incidence and aetiology of hospitalised community-acquired pneumonia among Vietnamese adults: a prospective surveillance in Central Vietnam. BMC Infect Dis. 2013;13(1): 296.
- Yoshida LM, Nguyen HA, Watanabe K, Le MN, Nguyen AT, Vu HT, Yoshino H, Suzuki M, Takahashi K, Le T, Moriuch H, Kilgore PE, Edmond K, Mulholland K, Dang DA, and Ariyoshi K. Incidence of radiologically-confirmed pneumonia and Haemophilus influenzae type b carriage before Haemophilus influenzae type b conjugate vaccine introduction in Central Vietnam. J Pediatr. 2013; 163(1 Suppl): S38-43.
- Capeding MR, Bravo L, Santos J, Kilgore PE, Kim SA, Balter I, Hubler R, Ye J, and Moscariello M. Prospective surveillance study of invasive pneumococcal disease among urban children in the Philippines. Pediatr Infect Dis J. 2013; 32(10): e383-9.
- Kim SA and Kilgore PE. Advocacy for pneumonia prevention in Korea: a multi-dimensional program organised around World Pneumonia Day. Pneumonia 2013; 2: 26-32.
- Daito H, Suzuki M, Shiihara J, Kilgore PE, Ohtomo H, Morimoto K, Ishida M, Kamigaki T, Oshitani H, Hashizume M, Endo W, Hagiwara K, Ariyoshi K, and Okinaga S. Impact of the Tohoku earthquake and tsunami on pneumonia hospitalisations and mortality among adults in northern Miyagi, Japan: a multicentre observational study. Thorax. 2013; 68(6): 544-50.
- Kim SA, Kim DW, Dong BQ, Kim JS, Anh DD, and Kilgore PE. An expanded age range for meningococcal meningitis: molecular diagnostic evidence from population-based surveillance in Asia. BMC Infect Dis. 2012; 12(1): 310.
- Tsuchiya N, Pathipvanich P, Rojanawiwat A, Wichukchinda N, Koga I, Koga M, Auwanit W, Kilgore PE, Ariyoshi K, and Sawanpanyalert P. Chronic hepatitis B and C co-infection increased all-cause mortality in HAART-naive HIV patients in northern Thailand. Epidemiology and Infection. 2013; 141(09): 1840-8.
- Kim DW, Kilgore PE, Kim EJ, Kim SA, Anh DD, Dong BQ, Kim JS, and Seki M. The Enhanced Pneumococcal LAMP Assay: A clinical tool for the diagnosis of meningitis due to Streptococcus pneumoniae. PLoS One. 2012; 7(8): e42954.
- Favorov M, Ali M, Tursunbayeva A, Aitmagambetova I, Kilgore P, Ismailov S, and Chorba T. Comparative tuberculosis (TB) prevention effectiveness in children of Bacillus Calmette-Guérin (BCG) vaccines from different sources, Kazakhstan. PLoS One. 2012; 7(3): e32567.
- Kim SA, Kilgore PE, Lee SY, Nyambat B, and Ki M. Trends of pneumonia and influenza-associated hospitalizations in South Korea, 2002-2005. J Health Popul Nutr. 2011; 29(6): 574-82.
- Kim DW, Kilgore PE, Kim EJ, Kim SA, Anh DD, and Seki M. Loop-mediated isothermal amplification assay to detect Haemophilus influenzae type b in cerebrospinal fluid. J Clin Microbiol 2011; 49(10): 3621-6.
- Wang XY, Kilgore PE, Lim KA, Wang SM, Lee J, Deng W, Mo MQ, Nyambat B, Ma JC, Favorov MO, and Clemens JD. Influenza and bacterial coinfections in the 20th century. Interdiscip Perspect Infect Dis. 2011: 146376.
- Nyambat B, Dang DA, Nguyen HA, Mai TQ, Rani M, Slack MP, and Kilgore PE. Rapid assessment of Hib disease burden in Vietnam. BMC Public Health. 2011; 11: 260.
- Kaljee LM, Anh DD, Minh TT, Tho LH, Batmunkh N, and Kilgore PE. Rural and urban Vietnamese mothers utilization of healthcare resources for children under six years with pneumonia and associated symptoms. J Behav Med. 2011; 34(4): 254-67.
Return to Search