Orientation Leaders (OLs) are highly trained student leaders who facilitate the successful transition of new students to Wayne State University. OLs help new students make tough decisions, encourage campus life involvement and provide information about campus resources and services needed to ensure academic success. OLs also work as mentors and encourage new Warriors to get excited about their education and their institution.
OLs should be friendly, energetic, approachable, hard-working problem solvers who are willing and able to assume additional responsibilities. Most importantly, Orientation Leaders must possess strong communication skills and be able to work effectively as a member of a team.
To qualify to be an Orientation Leader, you must:
- Have strong interpersonal communication and large-group presentation skills
- Represent Wayne State University in a positive and professional manner
- Have the ability to problem-solve and remain flexible under pressure
- Be willing to work long hours behind-the-scenes to ensure the success of the orientation program
- Have earned a minimum of 18 credit hours at Wayne State by the end of the winter 2017 semester
- Enroll at Wayne State for Winter and Fall 2017
- Have a minimum 3.0 cumulative grade-point average for the duration of employment beginning at selection
- Be in good financial and judicial standing with Wayne State University
Apply to be an Orientation Leader
The application system is open from February 1-24, 2017.
Roles and responsibility
The position runs from May-December 2017. Orientation Leaders will participate in required training sessions held immediately following the winter semester. Orientation Leaders are required to participate in all orientation sessions and cannot leave campus during a session. OLs cannot take any spring/summer course that conflicts with participation in the orientation program. Other employment is allowed but must not conflict with training, orientation sessions or related required functions.
Compensation includes an hourly wage, Wayne State gear, meals and parking during sessions.
- Complete the application.
- Based on application materials, students will be contacted to participate in the interview process during the first week of February, which includes a group interview and public speaking component.
- Interviewees will be contacted individually before spring break regarding their selection and the hiring process.
Contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org with questions regarding the application process. We can't wait to meet you!