Wayne State ranked in top 1 percent of universities worldwide
October 18, 2017
Wayne State University ranked 201st among more than 27,000 degree-granting institutions of higher education surveyed by the Center for World University Rankings (CWUR), according to a report released this week. The ranking places Wayne State in the top 1 percent worldwide.
The rankings measure the quality of education and training of students as well as the prestige of the faculty members and the quality of their research without relying on surveys and university data submissions. Of particular note, Wayne State University ranks as follows:
National Rank: 82
Alumni Employment Rank: 142
Quality of Faculty Rank: 240+
Publications Rank: 219
Influence Rank: 264
Citations Rank: 138
Patents Rank: 130
Overall Score: 45.72
The overall score places Wayne State just ahead of Sungkyunkwan University in South Korea and the University of Bern in Switzerland, and just behind the University of Cologne in Germany.
The rankings measure eight areas, including:
- Quality of education, measured by the number of alumni who have won major international awards, prizes and medals relative to the university’s size.
- Alumni employment, measured by the number of alumni who have held CEO positions at the world's top companies relative to the university's size.
- Quality of faculty, measured by the number of academics who have won major international awards, prizes and medals.
- Publications, measured by the number of research papers appearing in reputable journals.
- Influence, measured by the number of research papers appearing in highly influential journals.
- Citations, measured by the number of highly cited research papers.
- Broad impact, measured by the university's h-index.
- Patents, measured by the number of international patent filings.
The complete rankings survey can be found at cwur.org.