QLINE opens May 12 with a weekend of festivities
May 4, 2017
In just one week, the QLINE — Detroit’s new streetcar system — will welcome its first riders.
To celebrate the May 12 opening, the QLINE will offer free service from May 12 through 14. In addition, M-1 RAIL is coordinating activities along Woodward Avenue throughout the weekend. Wayne State’s Warren and Woodward Avenue Station park and surrounding local businesses will have a variety of programming, deals and specials:
- Warren Avenue Station park: live music, WDET’s Streetcar Party, food trucks, seating, giant games and fitness classes from 6 to 10 p.m. on May 12 and 10 a.m. to 8 p.m. on May 13.
- The Wayne State University Bookstore will offer 20 percent off any book about Detroit and a $2 16 oz. drink of a customers’ choice from the store’s café (excludes bottled drinks) until 8 p.m. on May 12 and 6 p.m. on May 13.
- Wayne State University Press will offer 30 percent off all books from 9 a.m. to 4 p.m.
- Maccabees Traders will offer its Mac Traders Punch for $5 starting May 12 at 6 p.m.
- Detroit Institute of Arts will have a specialty QLINE cocktail in Kresge Court and live music in Rivera Court at 7 and 8:30 p.m.
- Hannan House will host open mic, arts and culture workshops, and art gallery access throughout the weekend.
- Michigan Science Center: Buy one adult general admission ticket and receive one children’s general admission ticket free when you show a QLINE brochure on Saturday, May 13, from 10 a.m. to 6 p.m. or Sunday, May 14, from noon to 6 p.m.
- Sweet Lorraine’s Mac n’ Brewz: Buy one mac, salad or wrap and get a second one 50 percent off, starting on Friday, May 12, at 5 p.m. and continuing until Sunday. Also, $2.75 drafts during happy hour from 11 a.m. to 7 p.m. on Saturday, May 13, and Sunday, May 14.
- Detroit Artists Market: On Saturday, May 13, from 11 a.m. to 6 p.m., the exhibition “Now and Then: Artists Contemplate the Summer of 1967 Art Exhibit” curated by Jeff Cancelosi.
Catching the QLINE at the Wayne State University stop at Woodward and Warren Avenue. Take a brief preview ride.
After May 14, the QLINE will cost $1.50 for a three-hour window, $3 for a day, $30 for a month and $285 for a year-long pass. The streetcars are 66 feet long and can carry 125 passengers on average. They will travel the maximum speed on Woodward — 35 m.p.h. — and stop for traffic lights. In addition to the opening weekend celebrations, the QLINE is ramping up its outreach. Two new videos have been released for pedestrian, bicycle and car safety.
The QLINE will operate 6 a.m. to 11 p.m. Monday through Thursday, 6 a.m. to midnight Friday, 8 a.m. to midnight Saturday, and 8 a.m. to 8 p.m. Sunday. M-1 Rail projects the QLINE will average 5,000 to 8,000 rides per day.
A downloadable PDF of the weekend’s festivities along the QLINE’s 3.3-mile stretch can be found here.