Wayne State's public e-waste collection canceled, but pickup still available
May 10, 2016
Since 2011, the e-waste collection at Wayne State has amassed nearly 2 million pounds of electronic waste, keeping area landfills free of additional hazardous materials.
Although the public collection has been canceled indefinitely, the Office of Environmental Health and Safety (OEHS) encourages employees to arrange pickup of electronic waste.
Wally Pociask, OEHS associate director and hazardous materials manager, said the office, in partnership with the university’s purchasing department, will continue to collect waste across campus and at satellite campuses.
Type of equipment accepted for recycling:
- Central processing units (towers or laptops)
- Computer monitors
- Keyboards and mice
- Computer speakers
- Switches and servers
- Routers and hubs
- Televisions and stereos (and similar audio devices)
- Xerographic and other copiers
- Facsimile (fax) machines
- Personal data assistants (PDAs)
- Cellular telephones and pagers
- Desk phones and other telecom equipment
- Wire and cables
- Household electronics not containing oil or Freon
No refrigeration units or major appliances can be accepted. To request pickup of items, contact Wally Pociask at 313-993-7655 or email@example.com.