Student Emergency Grant
The Student Emergency Grant offers limited emergency financial assistance to currently enrolled students who are unable to meet immediate, essential expenses because of temporary hardship related to an unexpected situation. The fund is designated to offset short-term financial need and is not intended to replace or supplement financial aid. Awards are not considered loans and do not require repayment.
Applicants currently receiving financial aid should be aware that receiving funding from the Student Emergency Grant might affect their financial aid package.
If you have expenses related to the coronavirus, please consider completing the WSU CARES Emergency Relief Fund Application. More information is available on our webpage at Coronavirus (COVID-19): Important Financial Aid Updates and FAQs.
Complete the 2020-21 WSU Student Emergency Grant Application.
Types of expenses that may be covered
- Replacement of essential personal belongings due fire, flood, theft, or natural disaster;
- Emergency or temporary housing assistance
- Medications costs related to emergency medical care (not covered by insurance)
- Assistance with rent or utilities due to an emergency situation
- Emergency transportation
- Temporary support costs for a student in a dangerous situation due to threats or acts of violence
- Other school related expenses.
Types of expenses that are NOT covered
- Normal and anticipated academic expenses (tuition, fees, health insurance, and study abroad costs)
- Non-essential utilities, household, or furniture costs not related to damage or theft
- Parking tickets or other fines
- Costs for entertainment, recreation, non-emergency travel or other non-essential expenses.
- Be a currently enrolled student at Wayne State University
- Have a financial hardship resulting from an emergency, accident, or other unexpected, critical incident
- Complete all application questions in full and submit supporting documentation
- Demonstrate that all other possible resources have been considered and are either unavailable or insufficient.
- No outstanding balance owed to the university.
We will make every effort to have a decision on your application within 1 to 2 days. All application decisions are final. If approved, students will be notified of the amount and the money will be distributed through the regular refund process.
$50 - $1,500 The award amount is based on need and available funding.
Funds will be disbursed via direct deposit or mailed paper check within 14 days of approval. Sign-up for direct deposit in Academica.