WSU Access FAQs

Wayne Access Tuition Pledge program

The Wayne Access Tuition Pledge program is available to students who demonstrate financial need as determined by filing the Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA). As a Wayne Access program recipient, you will receive scholarship or grant funding up to the full cost of tuition and standard fees. 

More information about the Wayne Access program

  • How do I determine if I am eligible for the Wayne Access program?

    First-year undergraduate students whose Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA) estimated family contribution (EFC) is 0-5000 are eligible to receive a Wayne Access Grant. You must be admitted to WSU by December 1, 2020. 

  • How do I apply for the Wayne Access program?

    An application is not required for the Wayne Access program. In order to be considered for an award WSU must receive your  FAFSA for the next academic year by March 1. Awards will be given until funding is exhausted.

  • Can currently enrolled students qualify for the Wayne Access program?

    No. Wayne Access funds are available to qualified students entering Wayne State as first-year undergraduates.

  • Am I guaranteed to receive Wayne Access funds if I qualify?

    Wayne Access funds will be added to your financial aid package only if your existing scholarships and grants are less than your tuition and standard fee costs. If the total of your other grants and scholarships are equal to or greater than the amount of your in-state tuition and mandatory fees, Wayne Access fund will not be added to your tuition account.

  • How is the amount of the Wayne Access funds for each semester calculated?

    The Office of Student Financial Aid (OSFA) first, reviews the gift aid (scholarships and grant funds including Federal Pell Grant, Federal Supplemental Opportunity Grant, State of Michigan funds, and institutional/departmental scholarships and grants) on your tuition account. Next, OSFA reviews your tuition and standard fees (matriculation, registration and student service fees).

    • If the amount of your gift aid is less than the amount of your tuition and fee charges, OSFA will add to your tuition account Wayne Access funds in the amount of the difference.
    • If the amount of your gift aid is greater than the amount of your tuition and fee charges, OSFA will not add Wayne Access funds to your tuition account.
  • When will Wayne Access funds be added to my financial aid package?

    Your award letter may include an Estimated Institutional Award amount, which is an estimate of the funds you will receive. We will monitor your eligibility and revise your award if your tuition and fees change. After the add-drop period closes and registration is locked each semester, the WSU Office of Student Financial Aid will add Wayne Access funds to award packages of eligible students.

    You may not have this separate amount listed if your tuition and fees are already covered under another combination of awards.

    Financial aid will not disburse after the first day of the semester until class participation is confirmed by your instructor. 

  • How long can I receive Wayne Access funds?

    Wayne Access funds will pay in-state undergraduate tuition and mandatory fees for up to four consecutive years.

  • What if I need more time to finish my degree?

    If your major requires a year in addition to the four initial years for graduation, there is an option to apply for a fifth year of Wayne Access funds.

  • What costs do Wayne Access funds cover?

    Wayne Access funds pay in-state tuition and standard fee charges during the fall and winter semesters. Wayne Access funds do not cover tuition and fee charges for the spring/summer semester or any charges associated with room/board, books, transportation, or other educational expenses.

  • What must I do to ensure that I receive the Wayne Access funds for which I qualify?

    To receive Wayne Access funds, you must meet the following requirements:

    • Maintain full-time enrollment during the fall and winter semesters
    • Pass at least 30 credits each academic year
    • Meet with your academic advisor each semester to assure that you remain on-track for graduation within four years (five years if your major requires an additional year for graduation);
    • Meet satisfactory academic progress standards
    • File your FAFSA every year, and continue to demonstrate need
  • Can Wayne Access funds be applied to graduate programs?

    Wayne Access funds assist eligible students with in-state tuition and fee costs for their first bachelor's (undergraduate) degree only. The funds cannot be applied to a graduate degree or to post-bachelor studies.

  • Who can I contact for more information about my eligibility for the Wayne Access program?

    Contact the Office of Student Financial Aid by email -