Faculty and Staff Engagement Groups
Faculty and staff are the innovators and collaborators who help to advance our university's mission and develop tomorrow's leaders for a global society. When our faculty and staff feel connected, supported, and encouraged, they are better equipped to serve the students with whom they work. Below are our faculty and staff engagement groups who seek to make campus a welcoming and inclusive space for all:
Black Faculty and Staff Association (BFSA)
The WSU Black Faculty & Staff Association aims to create a sense of community by serving as an organized support network to help members navigate the university system while providing a platform to express their thoughts, concerns, needs and contributions to support the overall mission of the institution.
- Co-Chair: Dr. Mark Jackson (firstname.lastname@example.org) | Director, APEX Scholars (Pronouns: he, him, his)
- Co-Chair: Jeneen Conley-Berry (email@example.com) | Procurement Card Coordinator, Business Services (Pronouns: she, her, hers)
- Treasurer: Sheila Primas (firstname.lastname@example.org) | Associate Director, Housing & Student Center (Pronouns: she, her, hers)
- Secretary: Vacant
- Follow on Facebook
LatinX Faculty/ Staff Association (LFSA)
Latinx Faculty and Staff Association (LFSA) consists of self-identified Latino/a/x faculty and staff at Wayne State University. Our presence enriches the university because of our contributions and our commitment to the intellectual and community life at Wayne State and the greater Detroit area. The mission of the LatinX Faculty & Staff Association is to build an inclusive community and provide support for Wayne State's Latina/o/x faculty, staff and students across all levels and across the entire campus community.
- Chair: Vanessa Reynolds (email@example.com) | Admission Counselor, Undergraduate Admissions (Pronouns: she, her, hers)
- Vice-Chair: Nathan Chavez (firstname.lastname@example.org) I Associate Director, Academic Applications, Computing & Information Technology, (Pronouns: He, Him, His)
Queer Faculty and Staff Organization (QWSU)
The Queer Faculty and Staff Organization (QWSU) aids to create spaces and programming for LGBTQIA+ folks working at Wayne State University by tackling concerns and being a voice for all queer initiatives on campus. All are welcome to attend our events, regardless of identity.
- Co-Chair: Dr. Simone Chess (email@example.com) | Associate Chair, English Department (Pronouns: she, her, hers)
- Co-Chair: Brandon Shamoun (firstname.lastname@example.org) | Assistant Director of Student Involvement, Dean of Students Office (Pronouns: he, him, his)
Wayne State University Association of Chinese Faculty and Staff (WSU-ACFS)
ACFS, founded on April 10, 2021, is open to Wayne State University faculty and staff of Chinese heritage and their allies, regardless of their country of origin or citizenship.
WSU-AFCS is a non-profit and non-political organization. It aims to promote interests and collaborations among its members; to exchange ideas of how to thrive at Wayne State University and how to excel as educators, researchers, and community contributors; to enhance the communications among the Chinese community, University leadership, and other ethnic groups on campus; to serve as a support network to University missions and affairs, and to promote academic and cultural exchange among the Chinese community and other ally communities.
- President: Wanqing Liu, PhD., (email@example.com)
- President-Elect: Hengguang Li, PhD., (firstname.lastname@example.org)
- Membership: Jiemei Wang, MD., PhD., (email@example.com)
WSU Middle Eastern North African+ Employee Association (WSU MENA+)
- Co-Chair: Ranae Hamama, firstname.lastname@example.org| Associate Director, Transfer Student Success
- Co-Chair: Sonia Eckerman, email@example.com | Program Manager, Academic Student Affairs and Global Engagement
- Secretary: Nora Alhussainy, firstname.lastname@example.org | Academic Advisor III, Biological Sciences
- Treasurer: Hassan Hussein, email@example.com| Grant/Contract Administrator
- PR/Communication: Brandon Shamoun, firstname.lastname@example.org | Assistant Director of Student Involvement, Dean of Students Office
- Engagement and Outreach Officer: Anwar Najor-Durack, email@example.com | Assistant Dean for Student Affairs, School of Social Work and Steve Wassef, firstname.lastname@example.org | Senior Systems Administrator, Computing & Info Technology