Coronavirus travel information
The outbreak of COVID-19 has impacted travel nationally and globally. In accordance with the recommendations of the U.S. Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC), Wayne State University has issued the following procedures and recommendations regarding travel:
- Spring break study abroad programs have been canceled.
- All university-sponsored international air travel is prohibited.
- Students, faculty and staff returning from travel or stopovers at any countries/areas with travel advisories set at levels 2 and 3, or who have been exposed directly to a confirmed case of COVID-19, must quarantine themselves for 14 days immediately upon return. Those who self-quarantine should:
- Notify the Campus Health Center (CHC) at 313-577-5041 or their primary care provider that they have begun their quarantine.
- Those who exhibit symptoms of COVID-19 should contact their primary care provider or the CHC immediately to begin COVID-19 testing.
- Those who test positive for COVID-19 should alert the CHC and/or their primary care provider immediately.
- Those returning from domestic travel in areas with sustained community transmission of COVID-19 are encouraged to practice self-observation for the development of any symptoms and contact their health care provider or CHC if they develop a fever or respiratory symptoms.
International and domestic travel recommendations
In the case that students, faculty or staff decide to travel internationally or domestically, we recommend the following:
- If traveling internationally, remain aware of health resources in areas under consideration and be aware of potential travel restrictions.
- Prior to any domestic travel, visit the CDC website for updates about spread and outbreak clusters.
Canceled business-related travel
It is possible that faculty or staff may need to cancel preapproved university business-related travel due to canceled conferences or travel prohibitions caused by COVID-19.
Should this occur, the first course of action should be to seek a refund from the vendor(s) where the expense was paid. Reimbursement from WSU for expenses related to a preapproved, but unattended, university business trip must be approved by a dean, associate provost/associate vice president or higher. View Wayne State's travel policy.