Wayne State faculty and staff showcase
Congratulations to our colleagues for their scholarly presentations and publications on program assessment:
- Dr. Cathy Barrette (Director of Assessment; Associate Professor, Spanish) co-presented Conceptualizing Cultural Literacy through Program Assessment with Dr. Kate Paesani (Director, Center for Advanced Research in Language Acquisition, a National Foreign Language Resource Center) at the American Association of Applied Linguistics in Portland, OR in March 2017.
- Dr. Kate Paesani (Associate Professor, French) published Redesigning and Introductory Language Program: A Backward Design Approach in L2 Journal in 2017.
- Dr. Wendy Matthews (Assistant Professor, Music) presented Using Assessment to Improve Teaching and Learning in All Music Classrooms at the International Society of Music Education in Glasgow, Scotland in July 2016.
- Dr. Jazlin Ebenezer (Professor, Education) has published numerous studies, including the NSF-funded Engaging Students in Environmental Research Projects: Perceptions of Fluency with Innovative Technologies and Levels of Scientific Inquiry Abilities in 2011 in the Journal of Research in Science Teaching and Effects of an Intellectually Caring Model on Urban African American Alternative High School Students' Conceptual Change and Achievement in 2013 in Chemistry Education Research and Practice.
- Dr. Jenny Lewis (Assistant Professor, Education) published two studies on program assessment in mathematics: Measuring the Mathematical Quality of Instruction in 2011 in the Journal of Mathematics Teacher Education and Assessing Teachers' Mathematics Knowledge: What Knowledge Matters and What Evidence Counts? in the 2007 Handbook for Research on Mathematics Education.
- Dr. Justine Gortney (Director of Assessment,Pharmacy) gave multiple program assessment-related presentations in 2014: The Utilization and Implementation of the Pharmacy Curriculum Outcomes Assessment (PCOA) in Doctor of Pharmacy Curriculums at U.S. Schools and Colleges of Pharmacy at the National Association of Boards of Pharmacy; and Is the PCOA Useful to Evaluate Coursework? A State College's Perspective at the American Association of Colleges of Pharmacy Annual Meeting.
- Dr. Justine Gortney (Director of Assessment,Pharmacy), Dr. Christopher Giuliano (Assistant Professor, Pharmacy) , Dr. Richard Slaughter (Associate Dean, Pharmacy), and Dr. Francine Salinitri (Assistant Professor, Pharmacy) presented Relationship between PCOA performance and course performance at the American Association of Colleges of Pharmacy Annual Meeting in 2014.
- Dr. Doreen Head (Interim Chair of the Department of Health Care Sciences) and Dr. Rosanne DiZazzo-Miller (Assistant Professor, Occupational Therapy) presented NBCOT Pass Rate Strategies at an Urban University at the Occupational Therapy Education Summit.
- Gayle Reynolds (WSU Director of the Student Service Center) presented Using CRM Data to Align Customer Service with Strategic Goals at the Annual Strategic Enrollment Management Conference.
- Dr. Kate Paesani (Associate Professor of French) and her co-author wrote a chapter on assessment titled Reconsidering goals, objectives, and assessments from a multiliteracies perspective in their 2015 book: K. Paesani, H. W. Allen, & B. Dupuy, A multiliteracies framework for collegiate foreign language teaching (pp. 49-73). Upper Saddle River, NJ: Pearson.