Each program has a program assessment coordinator and a University Assessment Council representative to help communicate information related to assessment. Learn who yours are and how to reach them.
The Office for Teaching and Learning offers workshops and individual consultations on assessment.
Institutional Research and Analysis provides dashboards of institutional data and supports individual data requests as well
Gen Ed-Specific Assessment
- Website includes tutorials, presentations, and an overview of the process
- General Education Oversight Committee's email address for related questions: firstname.lastname@example.org
- Descriptive statistics, a beginner's guide with definitions of essential terminology and an overview of what descriptive statistic do for you (i.e., show frequency of responses, most common response, variation in responses, or position of one score in relation to others (e.g., percentile))
- Basic inferential statistics, a beginner's guide to statistics used with different data types (nominal, ordinal, continuous) that help you compare groups, generalize from a sample to a population, and identify whether your results are due to chance (correlation, chi-square, t-test, ANOVA, factor analysis, regression)
Student and program data (possible indirect assessments)
Publications and media
- Assessment Update, a bi-monthly periodical that provides practical examples and advice for assessing student learning in higher education
- Intersection, a quarterly publication by Association for the Assessment of Learning in Higher Education (AALHE) covering events and news within the organization and short articles and interviews on the practice of assessment in higher education
- National Institution for Learning Outcomes Assessment (NILOA) publications, which include research reports, occasional papers that examine current issues in assessment, presentations, newsletters, and more
- Walvoord, Barbara E. Fassler, Assessment clear and simple: A practical guide for institutions, departments, and general education. The chapter on quick and dirty assessment is particularly helpful.
- Maki, Peggy L. Assessing for learning.
- Creating a Culture of Assessment (video)
Professional associations and social media
- ASSESS listserv (To subscribe, send a message to LISTSERV@LSV.UKY.EDU with the following command in the body of the message: SUBSCRIBE ASSESS)
- Association for the Assessment of Learning in Higher Education (AALHE)
- National Institute for Learning Outcomes Assessment (NILOA)
- Association for American Colleges and Universities (AAC&U)