Site search
Search type
Wayne State University logo

Frequently asked questions

Do you offer conditional/provisional admission?

Wayne State University’s English Language Institute (ELI) considers students for provisional admission. Please contact ELI directly for more information, as this type of application is not reviewed by the Office of Graduate Admissions.

I have lived in the United States for the last 10 years but all of my previous education was in a country where English is not the native language. Do I still have to take the TOEFL?

Yes. Because your education was completed in a country where English is not the native language, you are still required to provide proof of English proficiency. The TOEFL is the most frequently used standardized indicator of English proficiency in higher education.

I live in Michigan but completed my degree overseas. I only have my original transcript and degree certificate. Do I have to submit them?

Bring your original documents and a photocopy to the Office of Graduate Admissions for review. We will attest that the copy is true. These attested copies may be used in place of the originals. Copies of foreign transcripts attested by public notaries will not be accepted in place of the originals.

I've had my transcripts evaluated by WES, ECE or another evaluation service. Do I still have to submit my official transcripts?

Yes. These evaluations can be used as an English translation of applicant transcripts but do not replace the official transcripts. Please be sure to include native language versions of all transcripts and degree statements.

My transcripts are written in a language other than English. What should I do?

Most foreign institutions provide copies of your transcripts and degree certificates in English as well as your native language. In some cases, you may have to ask specifically for them. You might also have to pay an additional fee for this service. It is important that you submit both native and English language versions to Wayne State.

I sent my international transcripts but heard that I also need a degree certificate. Why?

If your degree is not posted on the transcript, you will need to provide official documentation of your degree certificate or diploma. You may want to specifically ask the issuing institution to confirm that your degree statement has been posted on your transcript before having it issued. If not, you will need to provide an official degree certificate. Provisional certificates are acceptable for international applicants.

I am not a U.S. citizen but live in the United States. What additional information do I need to provide?

Non U.S. citizens should provide a copy of their visa or permanent resident card. If you are in the process of changing your status, include copies of the applicable paperwork.

I currently have an H-4 visa. Do I have to provide the financial documents (i.e., bank statement and financial statement of support)?

No. Only applicants who wish to have a student visa (F-1) issued need to provide financial documents. F-2 visa holders should be aware that it can take between four and six months for the change in visa status to take effect.

How do I check the status of my I-20 after I have been admitted?
International students may check the status of their I-20 with the Office of International Students and Scholars (OISS), which oversees the I-20 process. Any questions should be directed to that office.