International applicants


Admission requirements

All students with a bachelor's degree from a non-U.S. institution must submit an official course-by-course transcript evaluation of that degree completed by World Education Services (WES). Please do not send any official or sealed academic records to WSU. The official course-by-course transcript evaluation must be transmitted directly from WES to the Office of Graduate Admissions. Please note: Applicants admitted in Winter 2018 and beyond, the WES Basic fee will be reimbursed on your second semester's tuition bill if you are admitted and enroll at WSU. 

NOTE: Applicants to the Ph.D. program in Chemistry, please see Department-specific instructions on their website: Chemistry Grad Application FAQ

Unofficial transcripts may be submitted in order for the Office of Graduate Admissions to grant a decision on your application. In this case, temporary admission may be granted pending receipt of your official evaluation from WES. For the fastest service, you should upload unofficial transcripts directly to your online application. However, you may also opt to use postal mail or email to send unofficial transcripts to the Office of Graduate Admissions:

Office of Graduate Admissions
5057 Woodward Ave
Sixth Floor
Detroit, MI 48202

Provisional admission through the English Language Institute (ELI)

International students who meet the admissions requirements for an academic program (such as standardized test scores and minimum grade-point average) but do not meet English language proficiency requirements may be eligible to receive provisional admission to Wayne State through ELI. Students will study full time in the ELI program until they meet the university's English proficiency requirements. Visit for more information, or email ELI Director Bruce Morgan, at

Academic requirements

International applicants must complete the equivalent of a U.S. four-year degree, including all state and external/internal examinations required for the degree. Although a degree in another country may have a name similar to a U.S. degree, this does not necessarily indicate the degree can be accepted as equivalent.

Three-year general degrees (from Canada, India, Pakistan, France, Lebanon, etc.) are not accepted for graduate admission to Wayne State University. In all cases, you must have completed a four-year honors degree or additional undergraduate requirements to be considered for admission to graduate school at WSU.


Master's applicant

Minimum undergraduate GPA of 2.75 or its equivalent in upper division coursework.

Doctoral applicant

Minimum undergraduate GPA of 3.0 or its equivalent in upper division coursework.

Verification of academic records

According to guidelines set by the American Association of College Registrars and Admission Officers, official college transcripts, mark sheets and degree certificates must be received in a sealed envelope or electronically (secure, certified PDF) directly from the issuing college or university.

  • Transcripts must bear the institutional seal, current date and an appropriate signature of the registrar or recorder of records.
  • Transcripts providing certification of the degree earned must include the degree and the date the degree was awarded.
  • All documents should be submitted in English and in your native language (if applicable).
  • Transcripts must show a record of subjects completed, grades, and the units or credits earned for each course.

We will not accept an attested or notarized copy of a transcript, a hand delivered transcript or a transcript that reads "issued to student."

Program admission requirements

Some academic programs may have GPA and/or English proficiency standards that are higher than the university's minimum requirements. Academic programs may also require supplementary admission materials and entrance exams that must be submitted before an application is considered complete. Contact your program of interest for specific requirements.

Some doctoral programs require the completion of a master's degree before admission is granted. Doctoral applicants should have substantial specialized coursework in the proposed area of study.

Recommended application deadlines

Application deadlines set by your program supersede those set by the graduate school.