What is a disability?

An individual with a disability is defined as any person who has a physical or mental impairment which substantially limits one or more major life activities (including walking, seeing, hearing, speaking, breathing, learning, working, caring for oneself, or performing manual tasks), has a record of such an impairment, or is regarded as having such an impairment.

How do I qualify for services?

To be eligible for services, you must provide written documentation from a qualified professional on the nature of the disability. Information should include test results, a report, functional limitations of the disability, medications and academic recommendations. Once the documentation is received, it will be reviewed and discussed with you during an intake meeting. During the intake, appropriate accommodations will be determined.

What is a reasonable accommodation?

A reasonable accommodation is a modification or adjustment to a course, program, service, job, activity or facility that enables a qualified individual with a disability to have an equal opportunity to attain the same level of performance and equal benefits and privileges available to an individual without a disability.

Some common academic accommodations include:

  • Extended time on tests.
  • The use of peer note takers
  • Provision of sign language interpreters.

Where is the Student Disability Services (SDS) office?

Student Disability Services is located on the first floor of the David Adamany Undergraduate Library in the Student Academic Success Services (SASS) suite near the 24-hour computer lab. Upon entering the SASS suite, you will be greeted by staff at the reception desk who will guide you to the Student Disability Services area.

How do I register with Student Disability Services?

Call the SDS office at 313-577-1851 to schedule an appointment with a disability specialist. If documentation is sufficient, an intake meeting will take place and accommodations will be determined. Accommodation letters will be issued to the student.

How do I know if I qualify for disability services?

If you are not sure if you qualify for disability services, you should call the SDS office at 313-577-1851 to schedule a consultation with a disability specialist. At this meeting, your needs will be discussed and, if documentation is needed, diagnostic resources and services will be explored with the disability specialist.

What services does Student Disability Services provide?

Some of the services that are provided by our office include:

  • Alternative testing
  • Interpreter and CART reporting
  • Alternative format for textbooks
  • Note taking assistance
  • Assistive technology
  • Use of SDS exam and study rooms.

When you meet with the disability specialist, the accommodations that are appropriate and reasonable for your disability will be determined.

Does Student Disability Services provide personal services?

Student Disability Services provides accommodations and services in the academic setting. Services related to daily living needs are the responsibility of the student. This includes ownership of equipment such as a wheelchair and services related to personal care.

What can I do if I encounter an accessibility issue on campus?

If an individual encounters an access barrier on campus, such as a malfunctioning elevator, broken automated door or weather-related physical barrier, they can report it using the following link: