Know the law
Assuring that individuals with verifiable disabilities are protected from discrimination and are provided equal access is the law. Federal legislation mandates that the university provide reasonable accommodations that allow equal opportunity for all students. Establishing reasonable accommodations for students with disabilities involves shared responsibility between the students, faculty and staff. Wayne State University is in compliance with:
- Americans with Disabilities Act of 1990.
- Americans with Disabilities Amendment Act (2008).
- Section 504 of the Rehabilitation Act (1973).
Section 508 of the Rehabilitation Act and the Telecommunications Act (1996) includes the need for:
- Electronic information technology and website accessibility standards.
- Captioning and audio description of video.
- Access to telephone services.
People with disabilities have the same rights that are available under Title VII of the Civil Rights Act (1964) as amended (1991). Individuals with disabilities who experience discrimination can file complaints with the relevant federal agency or file a claim in federal court.