- Carmen Gamlin Make Wayne State's CSO Your First Check for Engineering Career Opportunities
- 11:58 AM May 21
- Matthew Fredericks The Point of Contact
- 11:42 AM May 20
- Kevin Piotrowski Cavalcade of Food - Mock Spinach Pie Casserole
- 11:21 AM May 20
- Veronica Bielat Push against impact factors
- 7:34 AM May 17
- Dollar Sophia Free Fitness Assessment
- 7:43 AM May 16
Wayne State on TwitterView all
- Why Closing Guantánamo Bay Might Not Enough. Coming up on @thetakeaway 9:07 AM May 23 2013
- RT @bravobravodet: Two weeks until Bravo Bravo! 2013. Purchase tickets here: http://t.co/zngs03RGs9 9:02 AM May 23 2013
- Michigan questions Canadian nuclear waste proposal. Via the @freep http://t.co/3teTfRh34V 8:30 AM May 23 2013
Wayne State student featured as Detroit 2020 "Person of the Week" for mentoring youth
Wayne State University senior Lawrence Robinson has made a big difference in the little time he's volunteered as a mentor for Big Brothers Big Sisters of Metropolitan Detroit (BBBSMD).
The Saginaw native was recently featured as a Detroit 2020 "Person of the Week" for his role as a mentor to 14-year-old Tyler.
Program organizers with BBBSMD, along with Tyler's mom, nominated Robinson for the special recognition. He was matched with Tyler a year and a half ago through the organization.
"I had multiple mentors in my life - football and basketball coaches in high school and mentors in college," says Robinson, a resident advisor and president of the Student African-American Brotherhood. "I have several mentors I can call when I need help."
As National Mentoring Month comes to an end, Robinson encourages caring adults to consider giving back. "You have your life experiences to offer. You can share your victories and lessons learned," he says. "It doesn't matter what career you have. Just do it."
Visit the Detroit 2020 site to read the full story.