- Carmen Gamlin Make Wayne State's CSO Your First Check for Engineering Career Opportunities
- 11:58 AM May 21
- Matthew Fredericks The Point of Contact
- 11:42 AM May 20
- Kevin Piotrowski Cavalcade of Food - Mock Spinach Pie Casserole
- 11:21 AM May 20
- Veronica Bielat Push against impact factors
- 7:34 AM May 17
- Dollar Sophia Free Fitness Assessment
- 7:43 AM May 16
Scholar stresses importance of bilingual classrooms
Maria Torres-Guzmán, a Detroit native and professor at Columbia University Teachers College, gave a powerful talk to a crowded room of Wayne State students, faculty across colleges, community members, K-12 teachers and administrators on Sept. 13 in the College of Education. Her talk drew from her book Global Perspectives on Multilingualism.
Torres-Guzmán stressed the importance of connecting discussions of bilingualism in the U.S. to the international context in order to recognize how language is enmeshed with cultural hybridity. In response to questions regarding Michigan's 2011 repeal of section 41, support for bilingual instruction, Torres-Guzmán said it is critical to promote bilingual programs, such as two-way immersion, as pathways to multilingualism.