- Carmen Gamlin Interviewing Skills to Launch Your Career
- 11:21 AM Jun 17
- Stephanie Fries The Front Door - Internship season is upon us
- 11:30 PM Jun 16
- Geoffrey Nathan TRC Team wins award--time to check them out!
- 7:27 AM Jun 14
- Carmen Gamlin Ten Must Reads Before Starting Your First Job.
- 5:20 AM Jun 14
- Rolaine Dang "Dont build a wrong usable thing" on the Next wayne.edu
- 4:48 AM Jun 14
Wayne State on TwitterView all
Scholar stresses importance of bilingual classrooms
Maria Torres-Guzmán, a Detroit native and professor at Columbia University Teachers College, gave a powerful talk to a crowded room of Wayne State students, faculty across colleges, community members, K-12 teachers and administrators on Sept. 13 in the College of Education. Her talk drew from her book Global Perspectives on Multilingualism.
Torres-Guzmán stressed the importance of connecting discussions of bilingualism in the U.S. to the international context in order to recognize how language is enmeshed with cultural hybridity. In response to questions regarding Michigan's 2011 repeal of section 41, support for bilingual instruction, Torres-Guzmán said it is critical to promote bilingual programs, such as two-way immersion, as pathways to multilingualism.