Warrior Orientation Leaders
Orientation Leaders (OLs) are highly trained students who facilitate the successful transition of new students to Wayne State University. OLs help new students make tough decisions, encourage involvement in campus life and provide information about campus resources and services needed to ensure academic success. OLs also work as mentors and encourage new students to get excited about their education and their institution.
OLs should be friendly, energetic, approachable, hard-working problem solvers who are willing and able to assume additional responsibilities. Most importantly, orientation leaders must possess strong communication skills and be able to work effectively as a member of a team.
To qualify to be an orientation leader, you must:
- Have strong interpersonal communication and large-group presentation skills
- Represent Wayne State University in a positive and professional manner
- Have the ability to problem solve and remain flexible under pressure
- Be willing to work long hours behind the scenes to ensure the success of the orientation program
- Have earned a minimum of 18 credit hours at Wayne State by the end of the winter 2014 semester
- Enroll at Wayne State for winter and fall 2014
- Have a minimum 3.0 cumulative GPA for the duration of employment, beginning at selection
- Be in good financial and judicial standing with Wayne State University
Apply to be an orientation leader
The application system is open from Oct. 1 through Oct. 31. All application materials, including the online application and two letters of recommendation, must be completed by 5 p.m. on Oct. 31.
Roles and responsibilities
The position runs from January – December 2014.
- Orientation leaders will participate in required training sessions held during the winter 2014 semester.
- Orientation leaders are required to participate in all orientation sessions and cannot leave campus during a session.
- Other employment is allowed but must not conflict with training, orientation sessions or other required functions.
- Compensation includes an hourly wage, Wayne State gear, meals and parking during sessions.
- Complete the orientation leader application and submit two letters of recommendation to the Student Service Center before 5 p.m. on Oct. 31.
- Based on their application materials, students will be contacted to participate in the interview process in November, which includes a personal interview, group interview and public speaking component.
- Interviewees will be contacted individually before winter break regarding their selection.
Contact us at email@example.com with questions regarding the application process. We can't wait to meet you!